Is 450 gallons too big

fishdude14

I've starting building a 450 gallon tank out of acryllic. Is that too big? It sure is gonna be alot of fun when i'm done though.

who dey

Bigger is better. i'd love to have a 1,000,000,000 gallon in my living room but i don't think it would fit:happy:

psufan43

as long as you have time to maintain a big tank, and able to afford, it and room, i say bigger the better. just because there are fewer limitations to what you can and cant do with it.

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by FishDude14
I'm gonna get ucured rock. My friend told me a trick.

Whats the trick??????????:confused:
todd

jc74

How did you learn to build such a huge tank? Are you sure it won't leak or collapse? Can you go through the necessary steps? That is a lot of weight and a lot of pressure to bring into your home.
I'd like to build my own too since tanks of that size are really expensive and usually have to be special ordered.

knots

Yea I'd like to know how you're building it to. What are the measurements and how thick is the acryllic.
And I agree bigger is better as long as you have the time and can afford it.

guineawhop

theres never such thing as too big, what you got to ask yourself is can i afford to keep this big of a tank and stock it

texasex

Okay . . . 450 gallons?! Now you are just showing off!
(Just the green eyed monster of jealousy talking!)
:rolleyes:

bergamer

:scared: electric bill
:scared: buying all the lighting
:scared: :scared: cleaning the acrylic
:notsure: I assume go swimming in the tank to clean

fishdude14

I'm gonna fill a few trash cans with water and connect them all with a lot of flow going through it. The tank is about 8 feet long and 3 feet tall. The acrylic is an inch thick. Sometimes at work I have to build air tight containers for testing. They make special pads for cleaning, but i don't know how i'm gonna reach.

harlequin

What kind of tank? Fish only or reef? Huge difference in cost in a tank that big. I only wish I could get a tank that sized although I would hate to see either of the tank's electric bills.

jc74

Originally posted by Harlequin
What kind of tank? Fish only or reef? Huge difference in cost in a tank that big. I only wish I could get a tank that sized although I would hate to see either of the tank's electric bills.

I saw a jump in my electric bill just going from 75 to 150g.
The more I think about it, I wouldn't want a tank over 150 gallons. That's already pushing my responsibility limit. I couldn't imagine doing an emergency water change on a tank over 400 gallons. I guess it would be good if you have the time and resources to take care of it (and the floor to support it). I'd imagine a tank that big would require a concrete foundation.

irishsalt

I love Rhetorical questions.....
Is the Ocean to big eeeerr more big enough?hehe
My dream tank is 300-500 in wall. Bigger is always better IME insalt water. The intial setup costs on HUGE tanks can range from high-insane but in the long run it's awesome.
I've got buds in Miami that run 2800(or so) shark tanks. I wouldn't mind that size tank, as long as I could plumb the outta the ocean.