Is there anything I can do? help with my pulsing xenia.

blueberryboomer

Hi to all,
My pulsing xenia somehow got knocked off my lr and landed on the sandbed. The problem is that when it landed, the lr it is on (about the size of a gold ball) landed on top of the stalk, now the stalk has a bend in it. It seems to be having a hard time standing strait up. Is there anything I can do to help it, will it heal do you think...Any ideas would be appreacted...Thanks in advance.
Lisa

glinton

The Xenia should heal itself in time. When I first got my Xenia, it was bent as well. After a week or so it was right back to normal.

blueberryboomer

Thank you very much, I was hoping that would be the case. I just bought it last Thursday and it was doing wonderful. I would hate to lose it...Thanks again! Lisa:D

blueberryboomer

OK, it isn't looking very good today, the stalk is totally flat and bent over. Is there anything I can do to support it so it has a chance. I'm afraid if I do nothing I will lose it..Thanks in advance for any help....Lisa:(

Lisa,
Sorry to hear about the xenia but really you shouldn't have to worry (famous last words)
Xenia does not have a hard stalk that can be bent or broken. When I split large pieces with a razor, through the middle of the stalk, usually they are back out the same day and the stalk is healed within the week. Dropping it on its head should not hurt it badly even if the stalk was torn in the process.
I know looking at it in the tank the above doesn't help much but here are a few thing you can try. Xenia is a good water quality indicator...start there, if everything checks out (especially the nitrates ...less than 10 ppm) then try moving it to an area of the tank with moderate to high flow. If it already has good water, good current and ample light then in time it should come back provided it was a hardy piece to begin with.
You didn't mention what kind it was but the above should hold true for every variety except maybe a wild piece of Pom Pom in which case they are considerably less hardy until acclimated to aquarium life (generally several months)
Well it looks as if I have babbled on and not really said much so before this gets longer I will try to sum up....
Simply dropping a piece of xenia on its head should not kill it. With good water,light and current it should come back provided it was a healthy piece to begin with.
Sorry this is so long, HTH
SiF

blueberryboomer

SIF, Thanks for the reply.
My readings are all in the normal, I moved it from the original spot(where it was when it got knocked off) because the current kept knocking it over, it was laying flat on its base rock. I'm not sure what the spieces is, I know its a pumping xenia, that is about all.
Seemed to be a good specimen. Seemed very happy!
Do you think I should move it back into the stronger current?
Thanks again, Lisa

Xenia will do better with a good amount of current...Not so much as it gets blown over and not directly in front of a powerhead. Strong indirect current is best.
HTH
SiF