Is this for sure an open brain?

M

mhayes462

Just bought this today and want to be sure of what it is so I can properly take care of it. Thanks

Mike Hayes

S

smallreef

me either,,,,, cant tell if its happy or not if we cant see it :)

btldreef

I want to say that it is a bleached Lobophyllia. The circled section is separated, and that makes me think that it's a lobo rather than a Wellso or Tracyphyllia. Keep in mind that all three have been called open brains, so technically, it's still an open brain. But as far as I'm concerned, that's a lobo.

btldreef

Pretty much. Just keep an eye on that, it looks really bleached and unhealthy right now, but not beyond where it could make a full recovery.

M

mhayes462

I was wondering about that. It looks really cool at that color but wasn't sure it should look like that. Here is a pic of the other side where it is darker red. What do u think happened? Too much light, too little? What should I do to bring it back to good health? Thanks for the replies.

Mike Hayes

btldreef

Probably not enough light. I'd just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't loose anymore colors. If your tank has good and stable parameters and proper lighting, it should come back.

M

mhayes462

The tank it was in wasn't very bright. I don't think I have seen flesh on it when I would see it in the store. Could it just be dead? Or is the fact it still has color a good thing?
Mike Hayes

S

smallreef

The fact it still has coloring is good,, you may have to just give it time,, and let it get acclimated to your system,, I'm def. not a coral expert but if that one section gets worse you could always frag it off so it doesnt affect the rest of the colony...