Issues with Brain Coral

danielwnoonan

ok, I am going nuts searching threads for help with this one. I am fairly new to this hobby, about 10 months into it, and I have been lucky so far with almost everything I've done, But I have had issues now with the last 2 corals I got. The first one I gave up on. it was a tongue coral That did amazing for the first week, then started dyeing off after that. Now I am having a similar issue with my open brain coral. the first week to 2 weeks it was doing amazing. I was very happy with it. But then it stopped inflated and some patches of the skeleton became clear. since this is almost the same exact thing that happened with my tongue coral I figured it was my water, But everything checked out almost perfectly. so I am truly at a loss for whats going on. my other corals are doing quite well, but they are different types.
the only other thing I can think of, is something is attacking the corals. the similarities were that both were placed on the floor, both thrived for over a week, and then stopped inflating or pretty much reacting to everything. The one thing I did try differently with this Brain coral is I moved it off the floor to one of the rocks thinking my lighting may be too week for it. I have a 4 bulb t5 for coralife.
I did notice a slight difference when I moved it, but nothing to major.
also, I am unsure if this was always there, but there is a small circular hole at the base of the brain coral, I am not sure if this is normal. I didn't notice it when I first got it.
any help would be great, I'd hate to loose this one too, or future ones.

danielwnoonan

Now that I look at what I posted, you can see the damaged tongue coral in the back, I am wondering if its possible that if something was diseased on that thing, if it didn't pass it onto the open brain. either way I moved it to an area by itself on a rock for a good week now and it hasn't changed at all.

sues

Same is beginning on mine, and I am asking same questions! My elegance coral was attacked by an anenome which I have since removed. I left the elegance coral in the tank wondering if I should try to propagate the healthy half off, but not knowing what to do, I left it hoping it would not damage rest of tank and would heal. I took the elegance dying coral out because I began to notice my brain coral not getting as large and happy as before. It still inflates, but ......have a feeling it is not the same. I had both of these corals since Oct, when my new tank had fully gone thru all of the stages of curing? So....if someone can help us w/the brain coral question...PLEASE DO SO!