Jester's upgraded 90 gallon tank

Jesterrace

Had to get rid of the Yellow Tang due to aggression towards the Coral Beauty. Currently have a Pyramid Butterflyfish in QT. In the meantime though, upon persistent pestering, I added a black backing to the tank. I have to say thus far, I am not impressed as it reflects everything and makes videos look terrible:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the vid problem, you don't like how the backing enhances the tank? Any case, your tank you should do what you like best.

Jesterrace

Sad news. The Pyramid didn't make it at my LFS. The supplier screwed up shipping to the LFS and the fish sat for over a day in the shipping bags. The good news is that they credited me the purchase price of the fish, although they were unable to source another Pyramid. So, I pulled the trigger on a One Spot Foxface and also managed to find a durable little Blue Star Leopard Wrasse that accepts frozen food (it even eats seaweed sheets). The only downside is that my Melanurus isn't too keen on it and has given it a hard time. With each day their tolerance for each other seems to improve a little though.

Jesterrace

Aside from the vid problem, you don't like how the backing enhances the tank? Any case, your tank you should do what you like best.
Honestly, it didn't enhance the tank. Other than covering up the wires from the powerheads and tank heater it didn't do anything and made the tank look dark in a room with a fair bit of ambient light.

novahobbies

tank looks good though. Personally I'd do a light blue background if you don't like darker, but hey...it's your tank!

Jesterrace

tank looks good though. Personally I'd do a light blue background if you don't like darker, but hey...it's your tank!
I tried a Black Background and it looked like crap. Corals and Fish didn't care for it much either (My Frogspawn and Hammer were visibly retracted despite no other changes at the time and the fish struggled to adjust to it and spent more time in hiding) and since it is in a somewhat brighter room the darker color brought out the absolute worst glare which made it very difficult to film. It is Blue on the other side of the black background and I might try it at some point but for now I am happy as is.

Anyways here is a Coral Growth Update: