Jon's new 20 gallon

J

jonathan

clown fish keeps getting closer and closer to the Sebae. This one was paired with a clown in the store.

J

jonathan

Originally posted by gfk
could post some pictures of your skimmer setup with overflow?
i have a 20 gallon and will be getting a skimmer soon, interested in ways to set it up

GFK,
Her you go If you would like to know more just ask. :)

shawnd61

ive been looking for a small skimmer for my fowlr setup and im toen between the 1 that you have and the super skimmer by coralife. you say that you like the 1 that you have a lot, does the over flow box occupy a lot of space within the tank? i too only have a 20g and i want to minimize how much space i use in the tank for things other than livestock. i do have a skimmer attachment for my canister, so i donthink that the over flow for the skimmer would be needed. unless i go back to the conventional intake for the canister and put the overflow on the skimmer. what is your take on my situation?

J

jonathan

Originally posted by gfk
i was thinking of the bakpak2 but what does the overflow do for the tank?

I looked at the bakpak's for my tank as well. I believe that they come with a surface skimmer option as well. I have never seen them in person so I couldn’t say much about them. I can tell you all you want to know about the Aqua C Remora though, just through personal use that is.
The surface skimmer just takes more water from the surface. This is usually where a heavy bio load build up. I have really noticed a difference. I used to see like an oily film on the surface but now it's like liquid glass. And its not just on the surface its trough out the whole tank. The surface skimmer out put has a chamber where you can use a sponge to catch debris [ I think that’s how you spell it (any ways small partials)] I don’t use the sponge I just float a small bag of carbon. Hope that help.
Jon

J

jonathan

I have read that this anemone is not healthy. That he is bleached and needs help. And that this is the sign of an anemone that has expelled all of its symbiotic zooxanthellae (the brown/purple colored stuff). He does still have some brown color in some parts. I have also read that it is possible to recover form this by regular feeding of Pacific plankton or Mysid shrimp. Attached is a picture of what I believe a Sebea Anemone should look like. From what I've read this is very common and happens due to poor shipping conditions or even poor LFS's.

bigarn

As you stated, they can become healthy again. Proper lighting, water conditions and feeding will help. :D

J

jonathan

Originally posted by shawnd61
ive been looking for a small skimmer for my fowlr setup and im toen between the 1 that you have and the super skimmer by coralife. you say that you like the 1 that you have a lot, does the over flow box occupy a lot of space within the tank? i too only have a 20g and i want to minimize how much space i use in the tank for things other than livestock. i do have a skimmer attachment for my canister, so i donthink that the over flow for the skimmer would be needed. unless i go back to the conventional intake for the canister and put the overflow on the skimmer. what is your take on my situation?

shawn,
I do like my skimmer. I feel it is quality and will last. It is rated for tanks up to 75gal so allows for some upgrading to be done. It works through air induction rather than ventri. Which, from what I hear is better and a newer technology. The box takes up a bit more room than I expected when I purchased it but I have delt with it and it works beautifully.

J

jonathan

Originally posted by bigarn
You're Welcome. :thinking:
:D

Thanks bigarn, I think I have all those covered. The only question I have is about feeding for the Sebea Anemone. I typically feed a small amount of brine to the tank once a day. Is this okay to feed to the anemone as well? Like I said I have read that Pacific plankton and Mysid shrimp is what I should be feeding. (But hey, I never know what to believe because every thing I read contradicts something else.) Is brine okay?

stupid_naso

You can feed it brine if you want, but brine is not nutritious enough for anemone to thrive. Try to get some silversides or krill, these works well. Some people have even tried little pieces of seafood (shrimp, squid, etc.) I don't know whether they work or not. I'd go with the silversides and krill. Keep us updated. Your tank reminds me so much of my old tank. Kind of miss it now... ah the good old days....
stupid_naso

J

jonathan

When putting an anemone into a feeding schedule. Does it benefit him more to feed during lighted periods or dark periods? I have read both takes on this. Does someone have experience with this? Thanks.

J

jonathan

The anemone may be sick but the clown sure loves it. I hope the Sebea makes it.

H

horace

Originally posted by Jonathan
kjl

Looking good i had a 20 once then i have a greyhound (shooter) he came in the office room and ya u konw what happens next IT CRASHED my parents were pissed lol it was horrible

hagfish

The cost depends on what you want to do. I have a 20g reef that has cost a little over $1000 so far and I got the tank, heater, a HOB filter and stand for free. If you're only doing fish and live rock you could probably subtract $300 or so from that total.
I think if you want to save money early just make sure you get plenty of LR and probably a protein skimmer. Having good biological and mechanical filtration is like having an insurance policy on your livestock. Basically, it will make things much easier and you won't waste money on dead fish and corals.