Just watched our Diamond Goby dive into the sand... why???

Tara O

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here and as soon as this happened, I had to google it but I can't find anything on it! LOL
My son and I were watching our diamond goby build a ramp like structure with the crushed coral substrate after he had just made a huge hole there yesterday of course lol. So we're watching him and all of a sudden he DIVES into the pile!! My son and I both looked at each other and couldn't believe that we just saw that!! Does anyone know why they do that? are they just hiding out? It is nighttime so... We saw no movement from the pile after he dove in and he'd have to turn around to get out cuz he was facing the rock. Is this a sleeping thing? breeding thing? laying eggs thing??? anyone know?

one-fish

Actually looking at getting a goby myself. And yes they burrow in the sand to hide sleep. Some are jumpers. Good peaceful fish. How long have you had it.

Tara O

Actually looking at getting a goby myself. And yes they burrow in the sand to hide sleep. Some are jumpers. Good peaceful fish. How long have you had it.
We've only had him for 2 days? But he's by far mine and our 4 kids favorite fish so far. He's fun to watch!

one-fish

Yes and can have quite a personality as well. Watch his eating habits and ensure he is eating, he will sift thru the sand gobbling up mouthfuls of sand spiting it out looking for pods or small worms or such to munch on. What size tank and do have any other livestock