keep the green film algae?

thresher9

Just down sized my old tank about four months ago and the green algae is growing crazy on the glass, but not so much on the rock. Should I try to get rid of it? I do scrape it off the front glass when it really starts to get bad and it comes off in sheets. I'm sorely lacking in snails currently and was going to get some, but if the algae is something I should keep around as long as I can than I won't get as many. Also I haven't been taking the back wall algae off because theres a considerable amount of copepods on the back wall. No clue why theres so many all the sudden.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thresher9 http:///t/396822/keep-the-green-film-algae#post_3535561
Just down sized my old tank about four months ago and the green algae is growing crazy on the glass, but not so much on the rock. Should I try to get rid of it? I do scrape it off the front glass when it really starts to get bad and it comes off in sheets. I'm sorely lacking in snails currently and was going to get some, but if the algae is something I should keep around as long as I can than I won't get as many. Also I haven't been taking the back wall algae off because theres a considerable amount of copepods on the back wall. No clue why theres so many all the sudden.

Hi,

A mag float will remove the naturally occurring algae that forms on the glass, and you should do it before it comes off in sheets...once a day or every other day.

Sounds like you just need a good CUC. A nice variety of snails, a couple of serpent or brittle (not green) stars, and some shrimp (peppermints or skunk cleaner).

Algae is a way of life when you have fish tanks, the trick is to not get the bad kind, such as hair algae. There are many ways to combat it. My method is to use Macroalgae, some are decorative, for the display, or fast growing for a sump refugium (depends on personal choice).... and it feeds on the nutrients starving out the bad stuff. As all plants do...they grow, and as you remove the extra overgrowth (called harvesting) you remove the phosphate and nitrate from your system, keeping your water pristine.