LED Light question. What should I get?

Dan808z

I have a 125, planning on a FOWLR because we can't get corals here. Anyone know of some cheap quality LED lights? I've seen Beamswork on Amazon but not sure what is best bet. I currently have florescent tubes that came with the tank, tank was probably bought in the 90s lol. I was wondering should I just use what I have until they die or are LEDs much better? Once again only a FOWLR. Here is a pic I am waiting for tank to cycle....
IMG_4123 3.jpg

one-fish

Take a look at Orbit current marine, it's what I decided on but there are many more out there. I give it 2 thumbs up so far had it about 3 months now..my.02

iidylii

as im sure others will say if your not going with corals then lighting really isn't a huge issue...I guess its all in your preference in how your tank looks with the tube lights that you have...personally I like my kessil lights because they give the tank a very natural light look...some people really like the more blue light look that make your fish glow a little more

lmforbis

There are a number of LED fixtures on eBay. They are often referred to as Chinese black boxes. Mars Aqua is supposed to be pretty good. They work well and you can often get them for around $100 each. You'd need 2 for a 125.
Using your existing fluorescent will work but the spectrum may encourage algae growth.

jay0705

I use and like the orbit marine. What ever you get tho, make sure its marine grade. Sw will destroy leds ment for fw

Dan808z

jay0705

Honestly its all personal choice with fowlr. I have a lower grade led on my fw tank. The out put compared to my orbits is significant. I just turned them off or i could show u a pic. I went with orbit bc if i choose to, they say you can keep softies with them. Finnex i believe makes them too. Idk about price with those

Dan808z

Honestly its all personal choice with fowlr. I have a lower grade led on my fw tank. The out put compared to my orbits is significant. I just turned them off or i could show u a pic. I went with orbit bc if i choose to, they say you can keep softies with them. Finnex i believe makes them too. Idk about price with those
Thank you, I live in Hawaii so will never have option for corals unfortunately. Just want some nice lighting to show off live rock and eventually some beautiful fish! If a florescent does that just as well as a LED I will stick with what I got. A picture would be awesome!

lmforbis

LEDs are cheaper to run.
To me, even with a fish only tank, you'd need to change the fluorescent bulbs every year or so. The bulbs are around $20 each. The wavelength in fluorescent bulbs shifts as the bulb ages and you will start to get issues with algae. That may happen to LEDs but not as much and certainly not as fast.

2quills

Leds are essentially monochromatic they don't shift in spectrum like fluorescents will. And they only loose a tiny fraction of their efficiency over the course of their life span. Most of which happens very near the end of their rated lifespan.

Agree, they are more energy efficient to run and they add a nice shimmer effect to the tank.

They don't need to be expensive ones for fish only. Just whatever works for your budget is fine.

Dan808z

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful. I will hunt around for some LED fixture, I was looking at the DYI how they wrap the LED strip around a PVC pipe etc. Seem like that would work but an affordable LED fixture would probably give off better light?

one-fish

Here is a pic of my tank light Current orbit marine @530pm Light has features to resemble normal day light changes, light intensity changes from sunset to sunrise w/moonlighting and can be programed to your own personal preferences.
rsz_img_0551.jpg

one-fish

Sorry Jay..Not the best photographer, sure your tank looks better, yeah like my lights your the one who recommended them for my application...FOWLR but maybe in the future softies..never know ..