LEDs

rickross23

I am going to upgrade to LEDs for several reasons.
1. heat consumption
2. No need for replacement bulbs
3. Last 50000 hours
4. Future reef lights + upgradeable + customizable
What ones should I get for my 120?
Sols? I am a fan of the radions, but want to weigh the options.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478058
I am going to upgrade to LEDs for several reasons.
1. heat consumption
2. No need for replacement bulbs led's can burn out
3. Last 50000 hours I have yet to meet a person that can substantiate this with using a fixture under the same conditions that us reefers have.

4. Future reef lights + upgradeable + customizable
What ones should I get for my 120? go onto a few websites and read the reviews and post some ideas here.

Sols? I am a fan of the radions, but want to weigh the options.
Honestly, I think you need to some research and look at the reviews. These tell you a lot about the fixture. Also, dig out the negative reviews and compare them to the positives.

rickross23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478089
Honestly, I think you need to some research and look at the reviews. These tell you a lot about the fixture. Also, dig out the negative reviews and compare them to the positives.
thanks. any other opinions?

2quills

Might want to hold out a minute for the A.I. Vega's to get released and see how much they are.
P.S. I wouldn't go into purchasing leds thinking that some of them won't burn out before 50,000 hours. If you're going to spend a good chunk of change on lighting you might want to consider the cost of and or the technicalities of maintenance after the warranty is up.

rickross23

the vegas are 500 each. the problem is i worry about the coverage of the AIs. whast the coverage? ive heard 12 x 12. that means 4 AIs to 2radions.

2quills

Don't see why you couldn't do 3 for the same price as 2 radions and probably end up with better par. You could get away with two units if you're willing to mount them high off the tank but it might not be great for sps. 4 would be for an sps dominant tank. I'd split the difference because I think you'll end up with more bang for your buck with the A.I.'s. Though, this is just an assumption based on some reading.

rickross23

idk about the AIs...they seem unbelievable, but also i ead they are 100% more for the light show ones you showed, 2quills. the vegas were supposed to be released in march.........

2quills

You sure they you're actually reading about Vega's? Aqua Illuminations was initially going to release this fixture as the Pheonix. But it never got to the market. I believe this is because the Radions hit the market first and people realized that the Pheonix wasn't going to have no where near the options that the Radions did. So the re-designed and are now calling it the Vega. Set to hit the market soon. A couple of months ago no one even knew A.I. was creating the Vega.

rickross23

Quote:Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478101
You sure they you're actually reading about Vega's? Aqua Illuminations was initially going to release this fixture as the Pheonix. But it never got to the market. I believe this is because the Radions hit the market first and people realized that the Pheonix wasn't going to have no where near the options that the Radions did. So the re-designed and are now calling it the Vega. Set to hit the market soon. A couple of months ago no one even knew A.I. was creating the Vega.

it BETTER be VERY soon if they want another customer. in august, im goin LED. the AI lights look like a brick also.....haha

2quills

That they do. Mostly because they are all heat sink. You need a good way to cool those XML leds. The smaller heat sinks of the Radions and the fact that each puck keeps all of the leds so closely grouped together kinda makes me think that over the long run they aren't going to hold up as well since I can't see how they can keep the leds cool terribly efficiently when you're trying to squeeze every ounce of par out of them. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for people to start reporting leds burning out on them.
Not trying to dissuade you, just throwing out some things to consider.

rickross23

Quote:Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478106
That they do. Mostly because they are all heat sink. You need a good way to cool those XML leds. The smaller heat sinks of the Radions and the fact that each puck keeps all of the leds so closely grouped together kinda makes me think that over the long run they aren't going to hold up as well since I can't see how they can keep the leds cool terribly efficiently when you're trying to squeeze every ounce of par out of them. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for people to start reporting leds burning out on them.
Not trying to dissuade you, just throwing out some things to consider.

If there is no vega by august, I am going Radion. its ridiculous how long people have waited. AI gives a 1 year warranty and Ecotech gives 3 year. I read that a person had a AI fixture and it burned out TWICE at the 1 year 1 month period and they wouldnt fix it, unless he would pay.

rickross23

going radion, unless pigs fly.
i just read on the radion community forum, that you can now create, save and share your own custom effects. SOUNDS AMAZING.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478109
If there is no vega by august, I am going Radion. its ridiculous how long people have waited. AI gives a 1 year warranty and Ecotech gives 3 year. I read that a person had a AI fixture and it burned out TWICE at the 1 year 1 month period and they wouldnt fix it, unless he would pay.
Dude, have you been getting your info from the cracker jack box again? lol
The Radions are the same as the A.I. Sol's ...1 year for defects of thefixture/power supply and 2 years on the leds.
LIMITED WARRANTIES. The Radion is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for
period of (1) year from the date of original purchase. The LED bulbs clusters in the Radion are warranted to be free from defects
in material and workmanship under normal use for period of (2) years from the date of original purchase. This limited warranty is
extended to the original buyer of the Covered Products (the “Buyer”). EcoTech Marine disclaims all warranties, express or implied,
to subsequent purchasers or users. If the Buyer gives EcoTech Marine notice as required below of a defect in materials or workmanship, EcoTech Marine shall, at its sole option: (1) repair or replace the defective products; or (2) refund the original purchase
price. Replacement products may not exactly match replaced products. EcoTech Marine shall not be held

rickross23

Quote:Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478114

Dude, have you been getting your info from the cracker jack box again? lol

The Radions are the same as the A.I. Sol's ...1 year for defects of thefixture/power supply and 2 years on the leds.

sorry. i typed the wrong thing. STILL going with radions

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391933/leds#post_3478091
Might want to hold out a minute for the A.I. Vega's to get released and see how much they are.
P.S. I wouldn't go into purchasing leds thinking that some of them won't burn out before 50,000 hours. If you're going to spend a good chunk of change on lighting you might want to consider the cost of and or the technicalities of maintenance after the warranty is up.
Thank You!!!!!