Lighting for a Long Tentacle Anemone!!!!!

jackman

I just purchased a Long Tentacle Anemone, I was told that they dont need any high output lighting but just to be on the safe side, Right now I have a Perfecto Fluorescent Strip Lights that came with the tank I have had saltwater fish for 2 years now and have changed the bulbs every 8 months but now that I have the anemone I want to know if there is a flouresent bulb that I can purchase for it instead of buying a hole new setup for it..
any help would be great....
thanks,
Jackman.....

hagfish

You were told wrong. They do require high lighting, preferably metal halides. I would take it back or get some MH. That anemone has no chance under NO lighting.

amandal

I can't tell you much about the lighting they require, but I can tell you to be sure you bury the foot securely in the sand! I didn't know that was necessary, as my BTAs take care of their own placement, and the LTA very quickly drifted around some rocks where I can't reach it and it gets no light at all. What little I can see of it looks terrible, and I know it's dying.

mlawrencem

Originally Posted by Jackman
I just purchased a Long Tentacle Anemone, I was told that they dont need any high output lighting but just to be on the safe side, Right now I have a Perfecto Fluorescent Strip Lights that came with the tank I have had saltwater fish for 2 years now and have changed the bulbs every 8 months but now that I have the anemone I want to know if there is a flouresent bulb that I can purchase for it instead of buying a hole new setup for it..
any help would be great....
thanks,
Jackman.....
How tall is your tank?

mlawrencem

The Perfecto Fluorescent Strip Lights isn't going to be enough for the anemone. I too would take it back or upgrade my lighting. If you have a tank that is 17 or 18 inches tall you may be ok with VHO lighting say Icecap 660 with 4x110 watt bulbs.

mlawrencem

Originally Posted by hot883
I have an LTA in my 55 with 260W of PC's. Doing great.
How long have you had it?

hot883

Originally Posted by mlawrencem
How long have you had it?

I got him Aug. 20th and he has doubled in size if not tripled. I feed him a small 1/2" piece of shrimp every 4 days or so.

hot883

Originally Posted by mlawrencem
Is it a Long Tentacles Anemone ( Macrodactyla doreensis )

Here is my LTA

reefiness

ya i kept mine under 260w pc in a 24" tank and it was fine for 1 year but i got rid of it when i decided to get a BTA

dogstar

Here is my LTA
Thats pics kinda dark, but IMO, thats a BTA...LTA should have basically uniform slightly curled tenticals, , spots on underside of disc, bright red foot.
To insure success, an LTA should be kept under MHs. BTAs are not as light hungry as LTAs but best to keep them under MHs also.

taz_12777

Dogstar, what type of anemone is that? It looks just like mine does. Mine is about 12 inches when fully opened.Thanks.

dogstar

Originally Posted by TAZ_12777
Dogstar, what type of anemone is that? It looks just like mine does. Mine is about 12 inches when fully opened.Thanks.
Its a Macrodactyla doreensis = Long Tentical Anemone = LTA.

choco

Here is my LTA
]
I agree with Dogstar. That looks like an E. Quadricolor (BTA) from the tentacle shape and color. Can you get a shot of the verrucae so we positively identify what species it is.
About the lighting for the LTA. T5s with individual reflectors and MH can easily support a LTA. I would actually encourage T5s just because the light is more even distributed and has a more natural effect. Not to mention, T5s can easily have just as much or more PAR than MH units.