lighting

flower

Hi,

First, you are not allowed to post a link to another store site, so remove it before you get into trouble. LOL... I think we have all done it at one point of time to learn that it isn't allowed. It's just a picture anyway.

Next: You need to post the full specs of the light, not the brand or a picture of it. Every manufacturer has several lights with different specs, so the brand name is useless info, and a picture tells us nothing.

SPS corals demand the brightest lights available on the market. 0 reading on nitrates consistently. They are a hard coral to keep for beginners in a new tank.

I personally am completely lost on LEDs, the poor folks on this site have tried 3Xs to explain it to me, and I'm still lost. You have posted a light with 55X 3w LEDs. My full spectrum LED light has 60X 5w white LEDs and it's not good enough for anything except macroalgae. However unlike the a short list on the light you posted of 55X 3w white lights, mine had 6000K to 6500K listed. I know you need 10000K but bang Guy says we need to know the par...:confused:

mauler

This is what I found on the taotronics

Features:

- Can be placed on dual timers to control the Blue and White Separately.
- Safe & Energy-saving: TaoTronics TT-AL09 can replace Metal Halide Lamp, saving up to 90% of your electricity bill;

Specifications:
- Number of Lights: Royal blue lights (28*3w LED); Cool white lights (27*3w LED)
- Color Ratio: White:Blue=1:1;

Royal Blue: 450-470nm wavelength;
Cool White:12,000-14,000K color temperature
- Lighting Area: 840ft2/10ft (78㎡/3m)
- Input Voltage: AC 85-264V
- Power consumption: 45~50W (blue on, white off); 65~70W (blue off, white on); 110~120W (both on)
- Lumens: ≥5500LM(all)
- Lifespan: 50,000+ hours
- Product Dimension: 15.7″ x 8.3″ x 2.4″(400*212*60mm)
- Warranty: Two Years
- CE & ROHS APPROVED

mauler

This is for the orbits

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System features Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic LED spectrums to deliver eye-popping colors with vibrant shimmer. Dual Daylight with 8,000K/12,000K white LEDs and Dual Actinic with 445nm/460nm actinic blue LEDs create the perfect spectrum for marine fish, invertebrates, live rock and corals to fluoresce like never before. 120-degree lenses deliver a uniform light spread over your entire aquarium with optimal color blending.24" (Mfg# 4100) 16.8" x 3.5" x 0.44" high 18 36 Dual Daylight/36 Dual Actinic LEDs, 72 LEDs Total

flower

Hi,

Either one looks really promising, personally I would go with those LEDs...but wait for somebody with more knowledge to chime in just to be sure. I know the 12000K and 470 actinic are perfect when dealing with Metal halides, but LEDs I'm just not confident with when it comes to making such an important expensive decision.

mauler

I have one of the 18-24" orbit led lights right now I'm just not sure if it enough and if I go with the taotronic light I'll have to get rid of my orbit or I could just buy a second orbit if that helps but since it's still the same light will make it any brighter?

Last edited:

flower

Hi,

Post your questions under the "lighting and equipment" forum, the guys who know that stuff hang out there and you might get a better idea of where to go from this point. Right now, those in the know are not responding.

jay0705

There is a diff w normal leds and reef leds. Basically you need high lumens, and certain light waves. Blues, whites, reds, ect. Soft corals need the least intense lighting generally.

mauler

Yeah but if I put the exact same light on there won't it still be the same par or would it double the par since there's two

flower

There is a diff w normal leds and reef leds. Basically you need high lumens, and certain light waves. Blues, whites, reds, ect. Soft corals need the least intense lighting generally.
When I mentioned "lumens" I was told by those in the know to look for the elusive PAR or LUX. LOL... mauler, just wait for someone who really understands this stuff to answer you.

flower

PM Bang Guy, 2Quills or maybe GeriDoc... Snake has been MIA for a bit now. Those are the professors I usually get answers from.