Lionfish Ate Clam; Now What????

drysummer

Yesterday when I was feeding my puffer some clams, my lionfish got to it before the puffer did, and ate it. I was completely surprised. I thought he was going to choke, however after a while he managed to get it down. My question is what will happen to him? Will he be able to digest a clam shell? I have had him for quite a while, and am kinda concerned.

v-lioness

This is a definite concern, Lets hope the lion regurgitates the shell, keep watching for it in your tank. Do not feed again right away. I am not sure if it can digest the shell, this may cause a blockage.
Kaye

S

shark bait

He may not spit it back up As we all know when people feed gold fish to lion fish they often die because it is to big and they can choke. I would just keep an eye on him nothing you can do.

drysummer

He Seems To Be Doing Better. I Can't See The Bulge Of The Clam In His Stomach Any More, So Maybe He Managed To Spit It Out. I Saw Him Trying The Last Couple Of Days. I Will Probably Try And Feed Him Tomorrow. It Has Been 1 Week Since He Ate The Clam, So I'm Sure He Is Hungry.

S

shark bait

I would wait to feed him untill you have made sure it is out. It may make things worse. He will be fine w/o food for a few more days. Many do not get feed upon shipping, 3-4 days and take up to a week or to to eat once at the lfs. So i bet your guy had been 2 weeks with out food before, and the clam was a good size meal.

reefboys

Yeah definately hold off on feeding for another few days or until you have evidence that the shell is out. Feeding with the shell still in there could very well cause more blockage. Good luck!

renogaw

wonder if the shell got dissolved--its mainly calcium right?--in the thing's stomach enough for him to spit it out.

S

shark bait

The lion has the acid to break down fish matter but not sure on a clam?? I would think if it did it would take a while.

jpryes

How is the Lionfish doing?? Did you end up finding the clam. It just happened last night, and yup its in his stomach. Not quite such how he fit that guy in there but it there. I'm not sure what I should do. Please help!!!
Jeremy :help:

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by jpryes
How is the Lionfish doing?? Did you end up finding the clam. It just happened last night, and yup its in his stomach. Not quite such how he fit that guy in there but it there. I'm not sure what I should do. Please help!!!
Jeremy :help:

What is the deal with this. We need to remember no clams with lions.

v-lioness

It just happened last night, and yup its in his stomach. Not quite such how he fit that guy in there but it there. I'm not sure what I should do. Please help!!!

Jeremy, Same thing, Lets hope the lion regurgitates the shell, keep watching for it in your tank. ** Do not feed again right away** this may cause a blockage. You are in a wait and see situation.
You know it is not just clams, Hermit Crab shells can also cause a blockage .
Kaye