Lionfish dilemma

Muff1n

On impulse ... I bought a volitan in my small 30 gallon that I’m going to upgrade in circa 3 months to a 500 litre tank. He is about 12cm to 15cm now ... was house with maroon clown pair with an aggressive nasty female that would bite me any chance she could, a super aggressive purple dottyback that terrorised everyone and a Very timid foxface.

Long story short, I went on holidays and my mate didn’t look after tank well and it went to crap. The lion was the only survivor.

He’s great, eats frozen fish only, didn’t attack or try and swallow the tiny male maroon (even though he ate mollies a similar size while weaning onto frozen) but I’m worried if I reintroduce a new clown pair he’ll eat them.

I was considering stocking (in new tank), CUC I have already (3 hermits, 7 snails), my now medium anemone as it halved at tank crash but somehow survived plus a tomato or pink skunk pair plus a tang of some sort. I’m not really a fan of tangs as each one I had got ick but I note not much goes with a lion.

What’s the odds of lion respecting these clowns and not eating one or both? I’m guessing they did fine in last one as female attacked him bad when he first arrived but not sure in this case.

lmforbis

You would be better off rehoming the lion. If you really want a lion and have the space you’d need large fish as tank mates. Anything that fits in the lions mouth (they have big mouths) will eventually be dinner. I’d look into smaller lion like the dwarves. They have smaller mouths.

Muff1n

He could eat the maroons. Didn’t touch them ... I threw in 2 small damsels to test the above. Been 2 weeks, not looking at them. The frozen fish he eats is bigger.

You sure he’ll eat them?