lionfish tank mates

jenniesweet

i have a 125 gl tank 72'x 18'x21" i'm planning on putting 2-3 dwarf /small lionfish in tank tank is empty right now due to ich all my fish are in hospital tank 4 weeks into hyposlainty treatment. i would like suggestions on what fish i could put with the lions after they come out of treatment will be moving these fish into tank first and putting new lion fish in qt tank then add them later
the fish i have right now is
koran angle 4"
coral bueaty 3"
copperline butterfly 3 1/2"
saddleback butterfly 3"
scopa tang 3"
thompson sturgion tang 3 1/2"
pork fish 3" growing fast!
which ones would be a good choise? koran angle (no) as previously suggest
what other fish would be a good foxfish, scorpion fish, any angler/rock
also can lionfish get ich i heard some that they are some what resistant

rickross23

Lionfish can get ich, I think Foxface are a great choice. Wait til saxman or cranberry comes here. They know lots about lions.

btldreef

Are you planning on doing the same varieties of lions? I've heard that males of the same species will fight.
Angels and lions as a general rule do not mix well. The angles nip at their fins and stress them out.
You have a lot of larger fish in there already, they just haven't reached their full size yet. Take that into consideration while planning what else to go in this tank. A one spot foxface might work. But I think with what you already have two or three more dwarf lions will make it fully stocked. Keep in mind that lions are messy eaters so you're not going to want a heavily stocked tank with them.
Lions are a little more resistant to ich, but they absolutely can still get it. Treating the ich can be tougher though because they don't do well with copper treatments.
I'd love to see what Saxman says about your stocklist.

jenniesweet

i have 2 125 tanks had to move all fish into 55gl tank due to ich there treatment will be over in 2 more weeks after that i need to restock the tanks with above list. i was wondering which ones would be good choise for lion fish
as for the lionfish i would like to 1 male and 1 female medium to dwarf size

S

saxman

Lionfish actually do tolerate copper treatments reasonably well, however, the med we're recommending right now is quinine sulfate (******-Pro). We've found it to work the best against resistant strains of ****** (ich), and is relatively easy on the fish. Hyposalinity would be my other choice, but running hypo can be a chore, depending on HT size (the pH needs to be maintained), and it doesn't always work if you have a resistant strain.
How long have the infested tanks been fallow? It should be a good 8 weeks or longer, so depending on which treatment you used, you likely have some additional time before you can restock. Also remember that if you haven't been "ghost-feeding" your tank, the cycle may need a bump, so add the fish back slowly as opposed to all at once.
You could keep the BF's, and maybe the dwarf angel with the lions (watch for "picking"). The A. thompsoni should be OK, however, being a planktonic-feeding tang, a 125 is about half the tank it needs.