Little polyp eating B@$!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Hobbyists' started by dustintx, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dustintx

dustintx Member

Found what has been eating my gsp and psp. Little fkn bastards!!!!!! Gave them a fresh revive after spotting what i though was a nudi this morning and these things came out super fast. 20171206_073204.jpg 20171206_073156.jpg

2. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Bristle worms

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. dustintx

dustintx Member

Yes,but are these the fire type or regular bristle worms?
    Also,I found one in my sump when I first set up my tank and I was told they were good for cuc,so I left him in sump.
    I'm starting to believe that no bristle worms are ok for any reef tanks.

4. jay0705

Lol hard to tell. But they shouldn't eat live coral

5. dustintx

dustintx Member

Well there were eating because I noticed my 2 polyp colonies had some bare spots,so over the last week these spots became bigger and bigger,so I decided to check with lights off and then under my blues this morning and low and behold!!!! Bristles on my starrys!

6. jay0705

7. dustintx

dustintx Member

I have trust issues with bristles now,lol.

8. jay0705

Lol mine to my knowledge don't bother anything. They are great for a cuc tho

9. 2quills

2quills Administrator Staff Member

I've never known bristle worms to eat polyps, they are detrivours. I've had them in all of my tanks and never ran into that issue.

You sure they weren't just crawling around the polyps in search of other food?

10. beaslbob

beaslbob Well-Known Member

11. 2quills

2quills Administrator Staff Member

The infamous bobit worm lol.

12. dustintx

dustintx Member

Well there you have it folks! Just because many have not caught them in action,does not mean they do not eat corals. Mine were clearly not of this length,however I do believe they have been if nothing else, irritating my corals and causing them to retract and die off.

13. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Member

What do you have in your tank? There are fish that love eating them.

14. dustintx

dustintx Member

Only a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp other than CUC.

15. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Member

What size is your tank? There are wrasses you can get that will definitely help eat those. Just be aware that you will likely lose a few snails and crabs as well.