Live rock question for fish only tank.

Tooldrmr2009

Hey guys, I have a new 180G tank I am running fish only. It is a reef ready tank but will only have 1 larger angel fish possibly, a zebra eel, and a banded cat shark. I currently have a RS300 sump and skimmer set up just haven't filled the tank yet with water ect. Am thinking 3 larger bags of sand, but is there a formula for the minimum of live rock I have to have? I don't want to skimp and run into problems with filter and biological, but don't want to over do it. What do you guys recommend as a minimum and maximum? Thank you.

florida joe

For a true fish only tank there is really no minimum you can actually run it without any live rock. That being said you will have to use other methods of nitrate removal as you will not be running a DSB or get the benefit of anaerobic bacteria colonization porous rock will give you.

As far as max live rock, just remember every time you add something to your DT you are displacing water. Dilution is your friend so add as much LR as you need to make your tank aesthetically pleasing to you and still leave you with plenty of water volume.,

one-fish

I started (55gal) with dry rock and dry sand never got it to cycle correctly then added 6lbs of cured LR after 3 weeks all my levels zeroed. I will not cycle another tank w/out LR. LR is expensive so understand why you asked, being a new guy can't comment on the lbs required just remember the LR will become a big portion of your biological filter down the road...
just my .02

Tooldrmr2009

Thank you for the replies. I started my first 65 gallon 1.5 years ago with 10lbs to start, then added 10lbs or so every 4-6 months. Am now up to 50lbs tops and everything seems fine. Figured on the 180 id start with 20 and add 10-20 every few months as it will be a few months before I really add the shark and eel I want. Was hoping 80-100lbs would be suffice on that tank for awhile. I am still trying to figure out what fish I can use as a cycle along with dr tims cycle bacteria. I haven't heard what other fish get along with the two I'd like. Figured maybe an angel or something along those lines as I have a grey and blue atlantic in my 65 and love the colors. Any recommendations would help thanks!

florida joe

Thank you for the replies. I started my first 65 gallon 1.5 years ago with 10lbs to start, then added 10lbs or so every 4-6 months. Am now up to 50lbs tops and everything seems fine. Figured on the 180 id start with 20 and add 10-20 every few months as it will be a few months before I really add the shark and eel I want. Was hoping 80-100lbs would be suffice on that tank for awhile. I am still trying to figure out what fish I can use as a cycle along with dr tims cycle bacteria. I haven't heard what other fish get along with the two I'd like. Figured maybe an angel or something along those lines as I have a grey and blue atlantic in my 65 and love the colors. Any recommendations would help thanks!
Why are you using a fish to start your bio filtration ??????
its not just total weight that matters its how many pieces of rock that make up the total weight that will influence how your tank looks

florida joe

I started (55gal) with dry rock and dry sand never got it to cycle correctly then added 6lbs of cured LR after 3 weeks all my levels zeroed. I will not cycle another tank w/out LR. LR is expensive so understand why you asked, being a new guy can't comment on the lbs required just remember the LR will become a big portion of your biological filter down the road...
just my .02
Im a little confused. you were trying to cycle your tank with dry rock and dry sand. but what were you adding for organic breakdown ? while LR may play a part it bio filtration it does not have to play a big part in successfully keeping a tank

one-fish

Started with dry rock and sand raw shrimp to start the cycle...you actually have and were very helpful explaining things to me.

jay0705

Cured live rock I think is one of the biggest helps for a new aquarist. It's filtration, bacteria bed, food, and decor all in one. You do not need to buy all live rock. Dry rock will get seeded by live rock. However you do want some lr. Dry sand is fine. I think live sand is a waste of money. Now a handful from an existing healthy tank added to a dry sand bed is helpful.
That said, I've never had issues getting a tank to cycle with just lr.

Tooldrmr2009

thanks for the help guys, sorry I was just watching some videos from Dr Tims aquatics and he said something about using his bacteria and adding a fish within a few days to start building up the tank. So is it better and you guys just recommend using the live rock ect to start the cycle?

florida joe

Never use fish as a sacrificial medium to start your cycle. use time tested safe methods without putting fish at risk

one-fish

If I start another tank I will do exactly as you did your 65 gal add some LR but add a raw shrimp to start with then watch amm. drop to zero wait a week or when NO2 level is dropping add more LR (testing frequently) wait a week acclimate FW black mollies as your starter fish (good algae eaters),.....just my thoughts ....my best friend is goggle and this forum.....

one-fish

Joe,....You got me,,,, yes I did add CUC prior to the mollies and then added more snails prior to my first salt water fish two clowns currently have 4 hermits and 10 assorted snails.

florida joe

just so i understand you are keeping the molllys because you like them as a fish in your tank and NOT as part of your clean up crew

one-fish

Actually both.... initial plan was to introduce them as an insurance policy for me because I had a hard time cycling and I wasn't sure where I stood so instead of spending $40 for 1st fish I spent $5. First night male jumped out female had babies, family got attached. Like Jay said mollies eat algae I agree not the prettiest fish but earns it's keep. Leaning toward a lawnmower blenny or yellowhead jawfish as next fish to go with the mollie and two clownfish...

jay0705

No tank is the same. Some cycle faster or slower. If you put dry sand, dry rock, sw, and a filter in a tank and did nothing else it would never cycle. Yes people do this and wonder whats wrong. You need ammonia to start the cycle. Either via fish food, raw shrimp, actual liquid ammonia, fish poop, live rock, ect. Fully cured live rock has living critters on it. All living critters produce waste. So even just adding lr can start a cycle.