Live Rock Turning Brown - OK?

dfox

Hello. I setup my first 55 g saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago. Last week, the algae on live rock started turning white. About 1/2 of it turned white, the rest is still green/red.
Now, in the last 2 days, there are these brown spots appearing on the rocks. (See attached images.) Can anyone help me identify these? Are the normal/good or bad? Thanks!

bang guy

I see a lot of Diatoms on the rock. Diatoms are normal but excess dDiatoms indicate an abundance of Silicates. What is the TDS reading of your RO/DI filter? It might not be working properly and is allowing Silicates to come through for some reason.

jrmafia90

It's just the brown algae, its normal for the first couple of weeks suring cycling. It will be fine. I am a newbie but that's what I was told maybe somebody with more experience can help me out.

dfox

For anyone else who might be reading this thread, I think I have found at least a partial solution to this brown/red algae problem. The LFS and others on this board suggested turbo snails. Purchased 3 large turbo snails this morning. About 1/4 of the algae, shown in the pictures above, is gone as of this evening.

superwade2

Originally Posted by dfox
For anyone else who might be reading this thread, I think I have found at least a partial solution to this brown/red algae problem. The LFS and others on this board suggested turbo snails. Purchased 3 large turbo snails this morning. About 1/4 of the algae, shown in the pictures above, is gone as of this evening.

I'm getting some of that on my Live Rock after the 2nd week of cycling as well... I think alot of people will
you for both having fish in the tank while cycling and adding a cleanup crew before the cycle is done... Unless you had one the really rare super fast cycles...
Just my $.02's
SW2

dfox

Right, thanks. I got very mixed messages about how to cycle in the beginning. LFS said use fish. Some other message boards suggested this also, but others on this board are very strongly opposed to it. I see the point. Why use fish if you don't have to. Lesson learned.
Anyway, all the levels are 0 again today. I was suprised that the tank could have cycled in ~ one week. The LFS seems to think it did due to the live rock - which is now 35 pounds. I'm going to test it everyday since I have folks living in there. I can always take them back if the levels start to rise at all.

hot883

Originally Posted by SuperWade2
I'm getting some of that on my Live Rock after the 2nd week of cycling as well... I think alot of people will
you for both having fish in the tank while cycling and adding a cleanup crew before the cycle is done... Unless you had one the really rare super fast cycles...
Just my $.02's
SW2
I agree and I will add that the crushed coral will haunt you later with trapped detrius. Just a nitrate trap and once you stir it up will release alot of pollutants into the water, plus will not stay white. Just my thoughts.
Welcome to the board by the way.

dfox

Yes, one thing I am learning about this hobby is that there is always more to learn. I read various message boards, FAQ, etc. for weeks prior to starting a saltwater tank, and I still made at least 2 major goofs.
You can sweat the details in terms of planning tank size, tank location, filters, heaters, lights, powerheads, salt mixes, additives, testing kits, starter fish, etc. and still end up missing simple details like crushed coral versus live sand.

dfox

FOLLOWUP QUESTION
If anyone has read this far into the thread, can you suggest a cleanup crew for crushed coral? Are there some really large crabs that could be used to dig into the crushed coral to help keep it clean? The snails appear to be cleaning the top. :notsure:
Or do I seriously need to think about replacing the crushed coral with sand...which sounds like a huge project.
Once I'm sure the cycle is complete, of course....

reefdweler

Ok, I have a question. BangGuy if I am wrong please tell me. Your tank is only 2 weeks old why do you have two very beautiful Damsels in that tank and it is still cycling? Everything you are seeing is part of the cycling process. Color on rock turning white ( coralline dying off), Brown stuff looks like dust (diatom bloom) etc etc etc.

R

reef33

Originally Posted by dfox
Right, thanks. I got very mixed messages about how to cycle in the beginning. LFS said use fish. Some other message boards suggested this also, but others on this board are very strongly opposed to it. I see the point. Why use fish if you don't have to. Lesson learned.
That should answer your first question.....