Live rock wanted NYC or close by.

newfishliny

Originally posted by Juggernaut
Their's a place in flushing called fish town usa. They have fiji @ 3.99 a pound (pre-cured). I brought 45lbs a few weeks back.

I was just there today , and pick up 30lbs but I go there once a month and the guy sold me great rock from the reef tank great stuff on it.
there figi is ok in the holding tank , but to much on it . it depends on the delivery . bought a queen angel today " a beautiful fish only 29$.
good luck
Don LINY

marinemarty

Hi Don, Have you been to PetsWarehouse on sunrise Hwy?? I bought some corals from a guy who shops at this place. The web site looks great. I still haven't made the treck.
Martin
FishTown is nice too:)

reef fool

If you travel up the taconic an hour, I can tell you where there is a LFS with some beautiful LR for $6/lb. Coralline on it and totally cured. May be worth the trip!?

Depends what you are looking for. I've seen small lawnmower blennies go for 39.99, their live rock sucks, and and overall I was very disappointed after the drive out there.

l.i reefer

FISHTOWN USA is definatley worth it. I bought 29 lbs of LR four weeks ago. I went to a LFS and got ripped. He charged me $7.99 a lb and told me if it smells then it is reallt good. I didn't know so I made sure I got the stink ones. I told a sales person at FTUSA to give me all the stinks ones and he looked at me like I had two heads. Hey, I am learning........

marinemarty

Hi Battle, How was the coral selection?? FTUSA is good, just not many corals. But you can always get a great deal on fish. IMO
Thanks
Martin

l.i reefer

The place is located in Brooklyn, Ralph Avenue. It is called Brooklyn %oo. I used to live there. I not only got ripped on the rock but most of the supplies. I spent $250 that day and they gave me $20 bucks off (had to check with the store owner). When I compared the prices on the net, I paid 40 to 50 percent higher. Imagine $47.99 for a Hagen 402 powerhead. I was new to salt water and anxious to set it up and I was moving from African Cyclides. The only thing that they did for me was direct me a web site to buy the CPR BaK Pak 2. They didn't have one and he told me I would pay so much more if they had it in stock. I really felt good at the time that they were taking care of me. Yeh, they were really taking care of me!
I went to ***** last night, 20 clowns percs and I count 5 with ICH. Very sad. Was not my first time seeing this.
BTW. Vick at FTUSA is very good. I deal with him the most but I also have confidence wth everyone else. I may end up there this weekend.

l.i reefer

All NYC and area members:
Are there other LFS stores that you would recommend for any reason Price, LR, Coral and Fish selection, etc. Thanks.
Derrick

marinemarty

Hi Reefer, FishTown USA is the best for fish, New World Aquarium has nice stuff but prices can be crazy. They do have a great selection though.
HTH
Martin

hnf2k

i goto fishtown also, good prices horrible advice. for all you who remember my tank being setup with the salt under the sand, well it was those genius' at fish town usa that did that. then when i confronted them and asked why, they said that it was better or something, bunch of morons if you ask me.

l.i reefer

Jugger,
Thanks. I will check him out. Someone told me there was this place on Hempstead Turnpike near Farmingdale. It is a person I work with but he is not into the salt water hobby. Said they have nice stiff but that could mean anything.
I am thinking of a tank upgrade (72 Bow). Price would have to be right. Any thoughts on where I could go?
Derrick

newfishliny

Originally posted by MarineMarty
Hi Don, Have you been to PetsWarehouse on sunrise Hwy?? I bought some corals from a guy who shops at this place. The web site looks great. I still haven't made the treck.
Martin
FishTown is nice too:)

no were is it on sunrise
don

newfishliny

Originally posted by MarineMarty
Hi Battle, How was the coral selection?? FTUSA is good, just not many corals. But you can always get a great deal on fish. IMO
Thanks
Martin

the fish come in on fridays good choice , as for coral not a good selection , if you get friendly with the saleshelp not many they will take some rock from a reef tank with come good stuff on it. the more you spend the better they treat you . a ****** way of running a business but I spent aleast $ 1300 so far just on rock and fish and cleaners salt. there dry goods are 3 times you find on line.
new fish