Live Sand Bed on top of Crushed Coral

Brian1313

Ok, so when I originally set up my FOWLR tank, I had the grand idea of using crushed coral as a main base and live sand as a "veneer" over the CC. I now have anywhere ranging from .5" to 2" of live sand on top of about 3" of CC. I highly prefer the look of the live sand better than the CC... especially in the areas where the CC is peeking through the sand layer because of snail and hermit activity, and powerhead flow.

What are anyone's thoughts on this subject? Should I leave it be until I can no longer take the sight of the CC mixing in with the sand? I don't want to disrupt the balance I've achieved in the tank. My chemistry levels are fantastic right now. All of my livestock is healthy and happy. Eventually, I'll want to upgrade to a larger tank, and I'm thinking I can hold out until then to exclusively use sand in the new tank, but I want to make sure I'm not going to have any issues between now and then with the mixing substrate, other than aesthetics.

54gal corner tank - Approx 35lbs live rock - Marineland C220 - 78 degrees - 8.1PH - 0 Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - Less than 10 Nitrate

Hoeven Wrasse
2 Ocellaris clowns
Bangaii cardinal
Royal gramma
Green chromis
Multiple nassarius and cerith snails
Turbo snail
2 dwarf blue leg hermits
3 dwarf zebra hermits

Coming Soon:
5 dwarf feather dusters
Hawaiian feather duster
Blood shrimp
More nassarius and cerith snails
3 margarita snails
3 astraea snails

jay0705

Bc you have a stocked tank yes leave it. If it wasn't stocked, id get rid of the coral its a pain in the ass