Long term planning of future tank

ice4ice

I've rekindled an interest in starting my first SW tank in the future. After careful studying different species of fish compatibilities and tank size, I've decided on possibly a 38 or 40 gallon tank.
My fish stock idea as follows:

Fiji Barberi Clownfish pair
Rolland's Damsels - 3
Blue Flasher Wrasse or Coral Beauty - single

Thoughts or suggestions on fish?

lmforbis

I’d definitely go with a 40 breeder. It is a great size. The dimensions are great because it is shallow tang meaning more territory for the fish.
Ship the damsels or go with only one and add it last. Damsels are beautiful fish, one of my favorites in the ocean but they suck in an aquarium because they are very aggressive. I have video from a dive trip a couple months ago of a tiny damsel attacking a large grey angel.
The Fiji Barberi is a beautiful fish. A pair in a small tank may not be a great idea. Clowns are related to damsels although not as aggressive. A pair may very well breed. A breeding pair in a small tank can be an issue. A coral beauty is a great choice or any other dwarf angel but only one dwarf. Flasher wrasses are a great addition but you usually won’t see the flashing behavior unless you have a male and female. They are jumpers so you will need a screen top for your tank.

Since you are in the early stages start planing for a quarantine system. This is the one thing that will hugely increase your success rate in the hobby.

I’d look into things like gobies, they are great fish.
I have an orchid dottyback that is amazing and does well in a smaller tank.

ice4ice

Hmmm... hadn't thought about the flasher wrasse without the female.

If I were to tweek the stock and tank:

45 gallon tank

Option 1:

Fiji Barberi clownfish pair

Rolland's Damselfish - 3
OR
Tracy's Damselfish - 3

Orchid Dottyback (Captive bred) - 1

Option 2:

Ocellaris Clownfish pair - captive bred (orange and B&W)

Royal Gramma - 1

Coral Beauty (Captive Bred) - 1

Yellow Prawn Goby or Clown Goby - 1

I don't know. So hard to figure out what fish and how many will work in 45 gallon tank.

lmforbis

The additional 5 gallons won't make a difference in how many or which fish you can keep. In the case of a 40 gallon breeder vs. a 45 gallon you are actually reducing the territory with the 45. Both are 36 inches long. The 40 is 18 inches front to back and the 45 is 12 inches. The extra volume in the 45 is all in height which doesn't give you more territory. If you want to increase territory a 75 or 90 with a foot print of 48" by 18 " would be a better choice. Territory is very important for a saltwater tank. Fish that have to compete for territory are more likely to harass their tank mates. Something else to consider is the deeper 45 will be harder to light if you someday want an anemone or coral. It is also harder to clean. That is more of a personal preference. I have a deep 120 and love the depth because it has a larger viewing area.
Either of your two options would work minus the damsels in option 1. Even in a huge tank, >150 gallons, I wouldn't do damsels, especially more than one. Personally I think you will have more success with the oscelaris clowns than the barberi because they are low on the aggression side if they aren't breeding. A pair of any species of clownfish can be nice and docile until they reach sexual maturity and start laying eggs. Then they often change. That can be said for a lot of salt water fish but not so much those on your list except the clowns. Just keep it in mind. That said, each individual fish will have its own personality and some individuals of species considered docile can be real jerks and some individuals from aggressive species can be very docile. You need to choose based on the most likely situation based on the average temperament not the situation you want. I love royal grammas but have never had long term success with them, many others have though. I've done well with the orchid dottyback. I like your focus on tank bred fish. I'm a strong believer in buying tank bred whenever possible.