looking for a couple new fish

iidylii

Hi everyone...been a while! how are you all? Took a little break from buying anymore fish for a while now and now I think its time to check into some more....

little info since the last time I was here...had some bad luck for a while not sure what was happening but was another reason I took a break...some of my fish that have died for no reason I can find in the last 6-12 months are my scooter blenny and red scooter blenny male and female, had both I think almost a year then all the sudden found one dead then the other dead about a month later...I did switch from large sinking pellets to super tiny pellets at that time so coincidence or not idk...2 of the 3 lyretail anthias I had died...my last one now seems to be doing ok for the last 6 months or so...he seems to stop transitioning into the really nice purple as soon as the other 2 females died =(...I know anthias can be tricky so ill blame the deaths on finicky type fish...had a pair of tiger gobies doing fine for a few months then one all the sudden disappeared have checked everywhere no where to be found that was again maybe 6 months ago or more the other is doing fine still...and lastly had my mccoskers wrasse for a year and a half and decided to give him to my dad because I wanted another type of wrasse and didn't want to chance mixing them together...anyways put him in my dads tank and the clown killed him within 24 hours...

so anyways im looking at getting the red head saloon wrasse and one of the squirrel fish either the popeye or just the regular squirrel...I wanted to get one more kind of big guy that's why I wanted to go with a squirrel and I figured my cube would be ok because I can't imagine squirrels are big swimmers?

how bout thoughts on a snowflake eel? just curious that's all...I don't wanna even try if im gonna have to hand feed them difficult foods besides frozen cubes...I know theres risks of eating tank mates so that's a turn off as well...like I said just curious

fish list updated also

93 gallon cube/180 total gallons of water

chalk bass
royal gramma (maybe 3 years old forbis...I remember you having issues with them)
anthias
firefish
bang card
pj card
tiger goby
sharknose cleaner goby
magnificient fox
bicolor angel
midas blenny
gold stripe maroon clown

so those will be the tankmates...also looking for some suggestions on maybe some other fish I am not thinking of that might be good additions...I guess I could try another chromis but we know how well those usually do lol...not even gonna try dragonettes anymore or any jester gobies either no luck with them...

thanks guys look forward to hearing from you again!!!

jay0705

Welcome back!!!! The fish you listed can be tricky. Your current stock list is fairly "stocked" tho. If you want a wrasse i have a yellow coris thats a nice fish.

iidylii

well im going for a more colorful wrasse I have enough yellow and I think the red head saloon or exquisite wrasse will be the next one...also really want to get a squirrel fish but we will see on what others might think....and yes I am fairly stocked as far as your common fish everyone gets was kind of hoping someone would name something im not thinking of lol

any new tanks or fish or exciting things in the hobby for you lately?!

jay0705

Shark fin wrasse. I saw one last week. Amazing colors but not cheap lol. If you go eel, go zebra. Less likely to eat your fish. They get larger tho.
Not really on my end. Lol been slow

lmforbis

Sorry about the losses. I lost my mckoskers wrasse and Lamarks angel a couple months after I moved everybody into my new tank last year. SW Empire closed last summer so I haven’t gotten any new fish. Don’t want to mail order any in the winter.

Squirrel fish get big, like a fool long, probably not a good fit.
Snowflake eels are great, never had an issue with them eating fish. It isn’t their natural food. Shrimp they will eat. You need to keep them well fed. I think your biggest issue will be escapes. Your tank is rimless. You need a tight cover to keep them in. They can also go down the overflow and into the sump and escape that way.

jay0705

I hear that about snow flakes, but then read reviews where they ate all the tank mates lol.
I have been contemplating an eel myself, but the whole eating my fish worries me.

iidylii

Shark fin wrasse. I saw one last week. Amazing colors but not cheap lol. If you go eel, go zebra. Less likely to eat your fish. They get larger tho.
Not really on my end. Lol been slow
Not seeing shark fin on LA but yes very pretty fish

iidylii

Sorry about the losses. I lost my mckoskers wrasse and Lamarks angel a couple months after I moved everybody into my new tank last year. SW Empire closed last summer so I haven’t gotten any new fish. Don’t want to mail order any in the winter.

Squirrel fish get big, like a fool long, probably not a good fit.
Snowflake eels are great, never had an issue with them eating fish. It isn’t their natural food. Shrimp they will eat. You need to keep them well fed. I think your biggest issue will be escapes. Your tank is rimless. You need a tight cover to keep them in. They can also go down the overflow and into the sump and escape that way.
I see the standard squirrel and Popeye are like 7-8” and recommend I think a 75 gallon...just throwing ideas out that’s all...I don’t assume any issues with 2 venomous fish together...fox and squirrel

As far as the eel...my tank is covered...as far as keeping them well fed? I assume this doesn’t mean feeding more frozen cubes? I assume I will be going to the grocery store and picking up things from the seafood section?

iidylii

Ok watched a few eel vids on you tube and I’ll not be going that route...most ppl say there fish start disappearing easily as big as clowns or bigger

jay0705

Lol yup. Zebras are supp to be fish safe. They get big tho, are expensive and still eat fish that you feed them. Sliver sides for example.
There is a vid of a snowflake cutting a lion in half during feeding time.

iidylii

Dammit I wanna big tank so I can get some monsters lol...my brother has a 200 setup really nice with really nice plumbing and he thinks he might wanna be done with the hobby but man filling a 200 is spendy!!!

iidylii

He has all the rock and sand...it’s already up and running with a few fish in it...very nice setup ready to go...but yeah I’m talking about the cost of fish to fill the dam thing lol

iidylii

You do t have to add them all at once. If you want big fish you can’t have a ton of them.
I’m the end I think it just costs way to dam much for a big tank with big fish...just the dam food probably costs more then I eat lol

And i dont know how much a ton of big fish are but like 20 of them at 8” or bigger? =)

jay0705

Agreed w imforbis. I have a naso,sail, hippo in mine. As my big fish, small fish fill in nicely tho

iidylii

Ok I’ll probably never do it anyways lol like I said to spendy but we shall see...need a couple more for the cube then we will worry about another later