looking to buy a decent camera

snakeblitz33

Now my friend is saying to get a d90, that ill love it more. Lol. Says there is a function on it that you can view the shot in real time while your taking the photo. But i thought that the d80 has a screen on it too??
I know ill probably get a basic every day lens or a kit or something. But, im looking at a tamron 90mm macro lens right now. Trying to find something used and a little cheaper. I think my passion will be macro shots.

elrodg

Lol. Yea you have a lot of choices of models when it comes to Nikon. But do some research on each model before making a decision.

snakeblitz33

I am reading that it goes in order of:
Photographer skill, lens quality, tripod quality, and then camera body. Meaning that as long as your purchasing a dslr camera with a few capabilities and it takes photos of at least 6MP, your good on a camera body.
I looked at the d90 by nikon, and i like it but i think that a better fit for me will actually be the d80 with a lithium ion battery. Its also within my price range for a body. Ill be able to buy a decent lens for it and thr body all for under $500. Which fits my budget.
My last question: if there is an auto focus motor in the camera body, do i have to purchase lenses without motors or if i buy a lens with a motor, will it work with the motor in the body??? Im kinda confused on that.
My buddy told me i should get a 28-300mm macro lens by either sigma or tamron. Now that i understand what the numbers mean, i think that will be a good fit for me.
50mm is normal vision. Anything less is wide angle. Anything more is telescopic. Makes sense that a 150mm macro lens is a good start for macro photography. I doubt that a whole lot of image quality will be lost with a zoom lens over a true fixed focal lenghth macro lens. I dunno. Thoughts?

I would get as good MP as you can afford. And I would suggest taking photos in a manual setting. (Automatic you let your camera guess the settings, which is usually adequate, but not always). If you learn how to manipulate the shutter speed, f stop, & iso; your photos will look a lot better than most photos the average person takes.

But the whole canon/Nikon argument is like Chevy & Ford. Both are really good brands and you'd be happy with both. I'd also look at video capability the cameras can do. It's a feature you will use if you have it. Get on YouTube and search canon 7d. It was what sold me on that model. But for whatever model you are looking for, that is a good place to start. It helped me make my decision.

elrodg

There is no real point to buying a camera with video capabilities if you have a video camera already.
And yes the canon Nikon battle is ongoing, but if you look at the d80 and d90 sensor, they use a ccd (charged coupled device) whereas a canon uses a CMOS chip. Hence better quality on a Nikon.
If you want a lens for a d80 look at this site for compatability
http://resources.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

snakeblitz33

So, after a few days of researching I have decided to go with a Nikon D90 afterall. It makes the most sense, and it's the camera that I keep going back to after researching all else. Thanks for the help and information guys.

elrodg

No worries. If you want a copy of Lightroom let me know. I can send it to you on a DVD.
It's a relatively small file.

geridoc

Sorry for the late entry to this thread, but I just found it. I use a Nikon D80, and for tank photography an 80 mm macro Nikkor lens. Using a longer lens like the 80 mm (105 would be even better) allows me to do close up photos without getting too close to the subject, which is important for fish photography unless you have an underwater camera
. I don't know why anyone would say that the Nikon D80 has an "internal motor". There are two motors involved in photography. One would be for automatically advancing the film - but in digital there is no film, so it can't be that. A motor is also involved in the auto-focus mechanism. In some brands the motor for this is, indeed, in the camera. However, in all Nikons the motor comes in each lens, not in the body. This increases the cost of the lenses, but makes the camera body somewhat lighter and produces (IMHO) better auto-focus. All of my lenses are Nikkor with the exception of my long 200-500 mm, which is a Tamron. I'm very happy with it since it features auto-focus and vibration reduction, and gives me pretty good images (sharp, good contrast). Whatever you choose, don't obsess over it. You have narrowed your choices to two "can't lose" brands, Nikon and Canon, and whatever you buy will be fine. Don't rush into lens purchases until take lots of pictures and begin to understand what focal lengths you need for the type of work you are doing. I do lots of nature photography, so long lenses are my thing, although I did just add a 12-24 mm zoom which is giving me some interesting flower pictures. Good luck! Here are a few D80 shots:

snakeblitz33

Thanks.
I think I am going to go with the d5100. It's a newer model and I know that pretty much every single lens that I am looking at for it already comes with an auto focus motor. I can get a pretty good deal on it on the internet - and in fact, I think I can find one on craigslist pretty cheap as well. I know someone is selling theirs and all of their accessories and lenses and everything for $600. I don't think that's too bad of a deal.
Plus, when I compaired the D90 to the D5100 on a website, the website said that the 5100 won every time.

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394057/looking-to-buy-a-decent-camera/20#post_3508576
Thanks.
I think I am going to go with the d5100. It's a newer model and I know that pretty much every single lens that I am looking at for it already comes with an auto focus motor. I can get a pretty good deal on it on the internet - and in fact, I think I can find one on craigslist pretty cheap as well. I know someone is selling theirs and all of their accessories and lenses and everything for $600. I don't think that's too bad of a deal.
Plus, when I compaired the D90 to the D5100 on a website, the website said that the 5100 won every time.
Very nice camera - you will be able to use it for many years before outgrowing it. The price looks very good - what lenses are included? I believe the kit lens for that model is something like a 20-55 mm, which will cover normal perspective up to modest telephoto (really portrait, rather than telephoto). It does have VR, which will make it a great "walking around" lens. Enjoy!

geridoc

BTW, if you are going into Nikon, take a look at Capture NX ver 2. It is a very powerful image editor that is much simpler to master than any of the Adobe products. You can download a 30 day trial at the Nikon web site. It is great for recoloring, relighting or retouching images, but it won't add people to your photos, or any of that kind of photo "enhancement".