Lost Appendage on Emerald Crab

angelfish

I was wondering if anyone knows if crabs can survive without or regenerate an appendage. Last night, I found a large brown crab in my tank and noticed that my emerald crab lost an appendage. Then I saw that the brown crab had the emerald's claw in his arms eating it. I removed the brown crab to a QT tank and hope that the emerald will recover. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

nacl-h2o

All crabs and shrimp will regrow claws or legs when they're lost. You'll see it again when it molts.

krazzydart

it is a good thing to get out the brown crab... but not to worry,,,, the emerald will get its claw back next time it molts.... just keep the calcium,idione,and all the levels up and it will help him grow a little faster!!!!!

mr . salty

I have a decorator crab that is missing three legs,and an arrow crab that has four gone.Neither of these crabs have regrown legs in months.Are these crabs diferent?? Or is this whole thing about them growing back a myth???

nacl-h2o

I have and have had many types of crabs (including the above metioned emeralds) and shrimp and have yet to see one fail to regenerate lost arms and or legs. I'm sure there may be exceptions, there seems to be some to every rule. I have a freind with a decorator crab in his tank it was delivered with a claw missing and it regenerated. I don't know about arrow crabs. I did read that low iodine or calcium can prevent proper molts or proper regeneration. I'm sure there are other reasons we have yet to discover. Including the fact that maybe a few speices simply can't.
[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: DAN THE MAN ]

angelfish

Thanks for your info. It sure helps to know the crab it will regenerate his lost claw. I've been putting in calcium and iodine for the corals and know that inverts need them as well. Thanks for all your help.