Luvmyreef's 20g Nano Build

snakeblitz33

There are three ways you can run carbon. First is the best way, which is in a reactor. Th second best is in a nylon bag in a high flow area and the third best is inside a filter sock. I don't recommend the last way because the sock clogs quickly and needs to be replaced often.
For a ten gallon, I wouldn't do the middle as the return pump.

luvmyreef

Well, I was kinda running with your design since I dont want to split my overflow. I was thinking of getting the corner filter sock mount too. Did I have the size of the baffles right in the previous post? I am limited with space, so I might have to do the carbon in the sock. I will check out the reactor. BTW, what is the exact name of your skimmer? Thx.

snakeblitz33

Sounds right if you are going with my design. The first baffle needs to be 9" tall. I don't think you will have much room for evap though, so I hope that you are planning to install an auto top off unit. In small systems like this, especially with ten gallon sumps, I believe they need to be on auto top off units.
The exact name of my skimmer is an SC65. It's sold by sc aquariums. You can only purchase them off the bay via PayPal.

snakeblitz33

A brs dual reactor might just be up your alley. One side can hold carbon and the other holds a phosphate removal media. Requires one pump. I also think it can be easily hung on the side of the tank. A two little fishies phosban reactor is like $35 and is what I am using for a phosphate reactor. I guess you could also run chemi pure elite in it as well. I'm thinking that I'm not going to run another system without it. Lol.
Anyways, have you listed what corals you want to keep? That might determine if a reactor is really needed.

luvmyreef

Ok, would making the first baffle 10in give me a little more wiggle room for the evaporation? I top off my 180g every two days, so it will not be a big deal or me to check on this one and add if I need. I will consider an ato later on. Right now I just want this thing done LOL. I will prob. have a mixed reef. My lights should be able to handle whatever I want.

snakeblitz33

No. The first baffle maintains a steady water level at 9". The last baffle sealed at the bottom controls how high your water level is in the sump. (the 7.5" one) but I wouldn't go more than 8" on the last baffle because of backflow when you turn your pump off.

luvmyreef

Oh ok. On another note, I might get the phos reactor. I can always do a little hob filter down there for now for the carbon. This project will take me awhile, due to my 180. Major overhaul time on that one. :( Gonna give it one more attempt before tearing that bad boy down, drilling it, scrubbing it, etc. Lots of work....sigh.......

luvmyreef

Well, I am gonna go to lowes today and get the glass. So, just to check, I need one 9 in baffle for the skimmer area. But based on my measurements of where my overflow hole is, I need to have 3 1/2 inches of space available if my pump should fail or electric goes out, etc. to allow room for the water so I dont overflow. So, with the tank measuring 12.6 high, should I go with the 7.5 baffle or not? And would it be better to use more baffles like in Al's design to decrease micro bubbles, etc? It is no big deal to do, but I need to know. I need specific numbers so I can go and get this stuff today. :) Oh, and my lights will be here tomorrow!!!

snakeblitz33

It's not three and a half inches. The water flow above the overflow teeth is all you are worried about. Max of 1/2". That comes to about .62 of a gallon. You can go up to 8" on the other baffles, but 7 1/2" is fine too. You could use four baffles before your return pump chamber, but I don't think it's necessary. It would be though if you plan to have a sandbed. Then there isn't much room left for a fuge.

luvmyreef

I see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't planning on any sand. Just the fuge. Ok now, are all three baffles in your pic 7 1/2 or not? you only have one marked that is what I need clarified. Would using 8 be better for all three? I don't really see much of a difference except my fuge could be deeper??? I guess three should be enough, I can even add a piece of sponge or something to keep the micro bubbles away. I am gonna incorporate the filter sock mount in the corner, then I should be set. Need to find a light for the fuge too. I have a shelf that I will be putting in the stand as planned. :)

snakeblitz33

I'd get them cut to 8" tall. Do the under over under design to get the maximum number of microbubbles out. Those two baffles need to be at least an inch above the bottom of the tank. It's easier to seal in the middle. Affle first with silicone and then the other two on either side. The baffles. Red to. E placed at least an inch apart.

luvmyreef

Gotcha ya! Will do. Good news....leds are here!!! It is a total of 60 watts. 10 xp-g whites, 10 xp-e blues. 3w leds. Dimmable.Pics. Can't get a good one right now of just the blues, but you get the idea. I really am impressed with it. Came with two digital timers,and hanging kit. I can control both the blue and white seperate. I like it!! :)

luvmyreef

Ok guys. I am gonna finish this thing soon. I have been waiting on hard wood floors to be installed in the room its going into. So, Seth, you mentioned earlier about a phos reactor. Where could I possibly place one? They are big. The 150 is 4 1/2 x 4 x 17 1/2 high.

snakeblitz33

You should have room next to your skimmer, on the inside of the sump. They can be mounted inside the sump as well as outside the sump. Actually, I would suggest mounting inside, just in case of leaks. It's a bit taller than your 10g sump, but it should work. Measure and find out. :D

luvmyreef

Ok. It says it needs a pump that you can turn the flow down on. will that cause any issues with water volume, etc or can I hook it up differently?