Luvmyreef's 20g Nano Build

snakeblitz33

A little $10 azoo variable pump is what i use. You can hook it up from a T off on your return pumps plumbing as well. But that takes a little plumbing finess. Lol. Instead of dialing back your return pump, just run a little of the excess through the reactor. That way you dont have to have another pump to heat up the water or another thing to plug in.
But thats just me. Do what you want. :)

luvmyreef

My pair of black clowns are in a little 10g right now awaiting this tank. However, I noticed something on the glass tonight, and on closer inspection I have approx 19 baby banded trochus snails growing in there! Some are tiny, some are a lot bigger. All of them are in various stages. It still amazes me what you can find in your tank when you least expect it lol. So, no need to buy snails for this 20g.

luvmyreef

Ok, heading to lowes today to get the glass baffles. 4 total. 1-9in tall for skimmer area, and 3- 8in tall for the rest. Or would that be 2-7.5in and only 1-8in? Geesh, cant remember. Now, I can use plain aquarium silicone for these right? I have some, but wanted to double check. Gonna start my sump build.....whoohoo!
Going off this design of seths

luvmyreef

Oh Seth LOL. I need your input here.... should I use 3 8in baffles or just the one and the other two 7.5? It was to help with the microbubbles if I recall. And I can use aquarium sealer right?

snakeblitz33

Four 7.5" baffles is good enough. First one for your skimmer and mechanical filter / sock. The bubble trap should actually be an over, under, over configuration instead of what i originally had. That way you can use a shallow sand bed in the fuge section if you wanted to. Also, yes, aquarium silicone is fine. GE silicone 1 that is not mold and mildew resistant is also fine.
Cant wait to see pics.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/220#post_3495605
Four 7.5" baffles is good enough. First one for your skimmer and mechanical filter / sock. The bubble trap should actually be an over, under, over configuration instead of what i originally had. That way you can use a shallow sand bed in the fuge section if you wanted to. Also, yes, aquarium silicone is fine. GE silicone 1 that is not mold and mildew resistant is also fine.
Cant wait to see pics.
Ok, but I thought the first one had to be 9" so it kept the skimmer water level where it needs to be? I can use the other 3- 7.5" baffles as you stated. So, I should put the first baffle all the way to the bottom, then the next one about a 1/2 in?? from the bottom, then the last one on the bottom again sound right?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/220#post_3495623
Ok, but I thought the first one had to be 9" so it kept the skimmer water level where it needs to be? I can use the other 3- 7.5" baffles as you stated. So, I should put the first baffle all the way to the bottom, then the next one about a 1/2 in?? from the bottom, then the last one on the bottom again sound right?
The SC65 runs pretty good at 7.5" of water too. Now I'm thinking 9" may have been a bit much when I was running it.
That's right - though I would put the middle baffle in the bubble trap about 1" up instead of 1/2" and I'd space the glass about 3/4" wide.

luvmyreef

Nice! Glad to hear you upgraded too!! Lots more room for stuff lol. I hope I can get this thing done soon. I am looking at the real reef, eco friendly rock to use in this tank as well. Gonna prob. stay with bare bottom for now. I might even consider vodka dosing in the long run so I can heavily feed my corals and keep levels down. I dont know yet. But I will not start out doing it. Just something to consider in the future. I will be fragging some of the more colorful corals I have in the 180 to put in here. I hope it turns out nice. Lord knows I need something to work out for the better for once. Thanks for all your help. Any other suggestions for a 20g nano? Any problems I can PREVENT!!! LOLOL

luvmyreef

Yep, I will definitely run chemipure. I always have. I seem to keep the parameters in check in the 10g nano, so hopefully I will with this tank too. I hope to put the sump together this weekend. I will post pics then. :)

luvmyreef

Ok, so I have been looking for a good skimmer. Seth, I couldn't find that one you have on the bay now. I saw it before, but not now. So,I am looking at two different brands. 1- Coral Vue Reef Octopus Pinwheel In sump skimmer Rated for aquariums up to 100g (Recommended sump water level 6" to 7 3/4"). 2- the Eshopps In sump skimmer Rated for aquariums up to 75g. (Recommended sump water level min. 8in max 10in.) I also saw a Reef Octopus nano skimmer BH50 on the bay rated up to 50g. Anyone have an opinion on these??

snakeblitz33

I like Octopus brand skimmers. I wouldn't worry so much about the water height as the footprint of the skimmer at this point. Make sure that the skimmer can fit inside the sump. I always suggest buying your skimmer first before building your sump....

luvmyreef

Yeah, I know. That is why I was aiming to use the same skimmer as you. So looking at the size of the eshopps it is 3" in diameter, and 19 high. The Reef Octopus is 10" by 6-3/4 by 19 3/4 high. the BH50 reef oct. nano footprint is stated as 5.1" by 5.5 and it is 13.8 high by 3.1 in diameter. The others dont state there actual footprint, but I posted their actual sizes. I am thinking that the BH50 might be the best way to go. I just cant find the recommended water level for the sump. I am still searching though.

snakeblitz33

Tell you what, I have an extra SC65 cone skimmer that I am not using... If you would like, I could pack and ship it to you. PM me and we will talk details. :D