Luvmyreef's 20g Nano Build

luvmyreef

I know I said before that I had about 20 or so baby banded trochus snails in the 10g, but looking in it today I lost count at 40!! And there are way more than that in there. I should be able to stock the 180 and this new 20 pretty easy. This is crazy lol.

luvmyreef

Ok, so I am debating on the skimmer and return pump. It is a toss up between the danner mag 3(350gph), or the eheim 1250 (317gph). I have read that both are reliable but the eheim is supposed to be quieter. But it is not self priming either. I think I am gonna go with the reef octopus bh50 skimmer, only I haven't been able to find many reviews on it. So, next step is to figure out the water level I need, then go buy the baffles, and silicone.
List of things needed:
silicone
skimmer
pump
baffles
refugium light
heater
25lbs of real reef rock
powerhead x1 (I already have one koralia nano)

luvmyreef

Ok, so the water level for the octopus skimmer should be 7-7.5". I can finally go get the baffles today. ;)

luvmyreef

I decided on the reef octopus bh50. Only because it is a known brand and has a warranty. Well, I just got home, I got my baffles from lowes!!! I got 4 of them, 9 3/4 by 7.5. I also bought the aquarium sealer. The aqueon brand is the only one they had in stock. I have to use a caulking gun with it though. They didn't have just a small tube of it. So it looks like I am on my way to building my first sump lol.

snakeblitz33

Very nice!
I would also suggest getting some painters tape to hold the baffles in place while the silicone is drying.
I would also look into getting some DVD cases or CD cases together so that you can have a "set height" that two of those baffles will be at.
Silicone "skins" over relatively quickly... so don't just leave the project and come back to it unless you are done.
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...

luvmyreef

I should have some painters tape here somewhere. This is how I was gonna do the baffles, The 1st one will be all the way to the bottom, 3/4 inch away the next one will be 1 inch off the bottom then 3/4 in away the third one will be all the way on the bottom again. Then the final one will spaced to the other side of the tank all the way on the bottom. So, it will be sectioned off into three sections. The first one for the skimmer and maybe a filter sock, the second (the biggest/in the middle) a refugium, the third for the return pump and heater. Sound right?

snakeblitz33

That would work if you don't plan on putting any sand in the refugium area at all...
If you want to put sand in there for a specific species of macroalgae that requires a sandy/rocky substrate, you may want to put your first baffle 1" up and your second baffle all the way down. But, if you are growing chaetomorpha algae, then you will want to go with your original design so that it has some ability to "turn" as is grows....
BEFORE you begin,... take some sandpaper and lightly sand the edges of the glass. It will keep you from cutting yourself while you are working with it ... and working in your sump later. Trust me, after getting sliced open a few times and getting saltwater in the cuts while doing maintenance, you will curse yourself for not using sandpaper. lol The Dollar Tree usually has sandpaper in the hardware section... and it will work for your purposes,... unless you already have some laying around.

luvmyreef

Thanks. I am only gonna grow chaeto, so no sand. I did notice some of the edges are quite sharp! The hubby should have some sandpaper laying around here somewhere.......

luvmyreef

Ok, so the footprint of the bh50 is 5.1 by 5.5. I guess the first section of the sump will have to be 6 instead of the 5 like in your pic Seth. Sound right? Or go bigger?

snakeblitz33

What I suggest is to take your skimmer and place it where you need it, and then take a sharpie and mark the outside of the sump where your first baffle needs to be. Then, try to take your skimmer out without it going past that line/mark. If you can do that comfortably, then that is where your first baffle needs to go. Don't get caught up on exact measurements - this is where practicality, common sense and experience comes in. Never build a sump without having all the essential equipment "dry fitted" first...
Which reminds me,... also decide where your heater is going to go.

luvmyreef

That makes sense. Will do. Once it arrives lol. The heater is gonna be a jager 75w submersible. I would like to put it in the return pump section, but I guess it could go wherever.....

snakeblitz33

I also suggest using a square to make sure the baffles are squared up. Just makes it stronger.
Your doing a great job! Keep it up!
Btw, i love the skimmer choice!!

luvmyreef

Ok, I was gonna purchase real reef (man made rock) for this tank, would cost me 200 that includes shipping, but was wondering what I could do with the rock I still have left over from the 180g. I currently have it sitting in a bin of saltwater with a pump and heater. Should I bleach it? Peroxide soak it? and then use it? Or what? I have a lot, but am afraid to contaminate this tank with dinos..... And before you mention acid lol, I like my fingers, so that is not an option.....

snakeblitz33

A bleach bath would work... but you would still have to add some kind of bacteria to the tank to get it cycling properly once you set it all up.
I don't see a reason to kill your live rock (that you probably paid dearly for) Look in the tub and see if you have dino in the tub itself... if not, then you are more than likely good to go. If there hasn't been any light in the tub and the dino is still there, then you know you are dealing with non-photosynthetic dino and you really do need to do a bleach bath.

luvmyreef

I have kept it in the dark for a long time now. No signs of any algae on it at all. I have several nice pieces I could use. ;)

snakeblitz33

I would try it and see... keep it in the dark while the tank is cycling. If it starts to show any kind of dino, I would take em' out and bleach em'. But, for now I think that you should be ok with the way it is.

luvmyreef

I think I will. I might spritz it with peroxide, scrub it, then use it. Just to be safe. I could also add some good bacteria in there too to help it cycle. ;)