macroalgae in display tank: good or bad?

beaslbob

The only real problem is the livestock eats the macros. Hence the reason for a refugium to protect the macros.

That said thriving macro (or other algae for that matter) is very good for any closed environment and our tanks are no exception.

I put some chaeto behind the rocks on the wife's 60g and took it out when we added an external refugium. Although it wasn't too impressive because it was mostly hidden by the rocks, it had become surprisingly large.

my .02

jay0705

I keep my macro in a 4×4 square of extra egg crate. I have it tucked behind the rock work. The fish trim what pokes out but the bulk is safely working away and housing pods

beaslbob

+1

On my old 55g I Just crammed in some egg crate 3" in front of the back glass. and added 2 4' two tube 6500k shop lights 4" behind the tank pointing forward. Costs with tubes $25-30 or so. (+$10 for the egg crate) and put chaeto and caulerpa between the back glass and egg crate.

nitrates dropped to 0 in 3 weeks and phosphates a few months later. Meanwhile my two tangs were constantly grazing on the macros that poked through, pods thrived, and smally fish would go through the egg crate for pods and stuff.

my .02