Mag-Drive vs Quiet One Pumps

traib

Anyone, what do you think about Mag-Drive Pumps vesus Quiet One Pumps re: Performance, bang for the buck, maintenance, sevicability?

J

jfdjason

I can tell you this.....I have a Mag 12 and a Quiet One 4000. I will say IMHO the quiet one is a better pump. They do run much quiet, and seem to move the water better. I know alot of people on here will back the Mag because of its name, but I do feel in the pump market, quiet one is a good buy.

golfish

I'm not happy with my Mag pumps..I did have a Mag 2 tat worked very well for years. The rest (Mag 7 and two Mag 12"s) are junk

msd2

I use a quiet one 4000 and its a great little pump it runs 24/7 and has had no problems for the last 6 months or so I have had it.

thesamm

i use a quiet one 4000 and its sweet....i have never had a mag so i cant comment on that but i love the one i have now :joy:

squidd

I have both (actually a couple of each, various sizes :D ) and have run them in side by side same tank comparisons...
For instance:..Mag 12 and Quiet One 4000HH..
On an under tank setup -5' head the Mag 12 outperforms the Q.O. 4000H (which is understandable with 1200gph vs 890 gph)
On a "higher head" setup (11') the Mag falls on it's face and the Q.O . starts to shine...540 gph vs. 300...
ALL pumps build up caco3 deposits and need "maintainence"...
And in running them on both FO setups and Reef setups (differing Ca and Alk levels) Both pumps needed more cleaning in the Reef than FO
But I did have more "no starts" (after power out) with the Quiet One than I did with the Mag... indicating the pumps needed cleaning...
I wouldn't hesitate to recomend either pump (there are a few I would not) and the Quiet One can save you some cash..
If anyone knows of a CaCo3 "immune" pump...I'd sure like to hear about it...:yes: