Mandarin help

wolfman

I have just successfully killed my second mandarin gobie. The first one i believe i was asking for, because the tank had barely been up running a few weeks and we didn't have the right lighting. So we figured we'd wait a good long while before trying a second one. We upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and got marine glow/life glow lighting (I believe that was the name...in any case it is the lighting which provides the blue spectrum for algae and corals). We have a 3000 gallon capapcity fluidized bed, a protein skimmer, good tank circulation and it has been running great for about four months. There is plenty of algae growth amidst the rocks and so we felt it was time to introduce a mandarin gobie. It seemed healthy for a day or two but then today (day three) it turned belly up and ceased to exist *sniff*.
I have read in the species section of Saltwaterfish.com that mandarinfish need copepods and other micro fauna to properly exist. To the best of my knowledge I don't know what copepods are and more importantly I don't know how to introduce them to my system (nor do the local petstores). We really want a mandarin in our system but I'm afraid to try until I can get a better understanding of what is required. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Wolfman

sixth man

mandarins can live for years and years if they have the right food to live on. i disagree RR, they aren't nearly the hardest fish to keep. if you provide good quality live rock and a peaceful enviroment they will fair just fine. they need the copepods and micro fauna to feed on and to provide these things you MUST have good quality live rock. mandarins are loners and love to hop around and live in the reef you have built for them. RR is right that they will grow to be large and fat. they love to eat. you can try live brine, but it is doubtful that they will take to it and you will likely just be compromising your water conditions.

WE HAVE HAD OUR TANK FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS AND THE MANDERIAN WAS ONE OF THE FIRST FISH WE INTRODUCED. WE HAVE ALOT OF FISH, EEL AND TONS OF LIVE ROCK. WE WERE TOLD THE EEL WOULD EAT THE FISH BUT ISN'T BOTHERED BY IT. THE MANDERIAN SWIMS AROUND ALL DAY HAPPY AS CAN BE. I THINK THE LIVE ROCK IS THE KEY. THE LIVE ROCK WILL ALSO DELIGHT OTHER FISH AS WELL.
Originally posted by Wolfman:
I have just successfully killed my second mandarin gobie. The first one i believe i was asking for, because the tank had barely been up running a few weeks and we didn't have the right lighting. So we figured we'd wait a good long while before trying a second one. We upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and got marine glow/life glow lighting (I believe that was the name...in any case it is the lighting which provides the blue spectrum for algae and corals). We have a 3000 gallon capapcity fluidized bed, a protein skimmer, good tank circulation and it has been running great for about four months. There is plenty of algae growth amidst the rocks and so we felt it was time to introduce a mandarin gobie. It seemed healthy for a day or two but then today (day three) it turned belly up and ceased to exist *sniff*.
I have read in the species section of Saltwaterfish.com that mandarinfish need copepods and other micro fauna to properly exist. To the best of my knowledge I don't know what copepods are and more importantly I don't know how to introduce them to my system (nor do the local petstores). We really want a mandarin in our system but I'm afraid to try until I can get a better understanding of what is required. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Wolfman

dirk

Originally posted by sixth man:
mandarins can live for years and years if they have the right food to live on. i disagree RR, they aren't nearly the hardest fish to keep. if you provide good quality live rock and a peaceful enviroment they will fair just fine. they need the copepods and micro fauna to feed on and to provide these things you MUST have good quality live rock. mandarins are loners and love to hop around and live in the reef you have built for them. RR is right that they will grow to be large and fat. they love to eat. you can try live brine, but it is doubtful that they will take to it and you will likely just be compromising your water conditions.

dirk

Originally posted by sixth man:

Just bought a 55 gallon. Set it up as saltwater fish-only. Unfortunately, the store clerk convinced me that after a couple days i could introduce some fish. A few days after setting it up, I introduced a Mandarin, two tangs (naso & Regal), a clown and a wrasse. Since then I have done some research (should have done it before) and realized my mistake. Now in an attempt to save all my new fish, I have placed some live sand (store bought) and some live rock. What else can I do - Is it hopeless? it's been 8 days and all is well with the fish.