Mandarin Lost Tail Fins

merredeth

Hi. About a month ago ago I ended up with a mandarin from my LFS' personal tank.
It is a beautiful one with great markings.
However, this damn strawberry pseudochromis ended up picking on the mandarin and he lost the back fins.
I immediately relocated the strawberry pseudochromis by donating it to my LFS and it's been quite a few days now.
I have sat on the floor watching the tank for hours since this occured and feel conofident that the culprit was the strawberry as everyone else seems to get a long and everyone leaves the mandarin to himself.
The mandarin is still eating and going all over the rocks like crazy. He seems to have survived the strawberry. However, I'm wondering if the tail fin will grow back? It appears like it has started to regrow. However, I have not had a mandarin before and want to make sure what I THINK I'm seeing is actually happening.
Thanks in advance,
Denise M.

renogaw

in my search to keep my shrimpgoby alive, i have run into what i assume is tail rot. might ask beth in the disease forum, she had me put in maracyn 2 for its tail. might help you, but i'd ask first.

merredeth

Originally Posted by renogaw
in my search to keep my shrimpgoby alive, i have run into what i assume is tail rot. might ask beth in the disease forum, she had me put in maracyn 2 for its tail. might help you, but i'd ask first.
This was definitely torture. It is looking better now - at least I think it is.
Denise M.

fish911

he should heal ... i had one years ago when i was in the hobby before .. he was hardier than most things in my tank! and lived through a lot ...
i currently have a bi colour angel with a bummed fin .. im confident her will make a full recovery
dont give up on him!

merredeth

Originally Posted by Fish911
he should heal ... i had one years ago when i was in the hobby before .. he was hardier than most things in my tank! and lived through a lot ...
i currently have a bi colour angel with a bummed fin .. im confident her will make a full recovery
dont give up on him!
Good luck to you as well.
Don't worry, I'm noty planning on giving up on him. He's been an eating machine and all over the tank, so I'm not too worried now that the damn strawberry has been given to the LFS.
I just feel sorry for the new tankmates he will have when someone buys him. :scared:
Denise M.