Marine Velvet vs. Ich

P

puffdaddy1

How can you tell the difference between the two?
Think some of my tank inhabitants may have velvet, but can't be too sure, and I don't want to treat for the wrong thing.

-tara33-

marine velvet are a smaller spot and lots more coverage on the body, and ich is larger and is randemely on the body, but sometimes if left untreated can cover more and more of the body. someone with more experience will prob chime in lol

P

puffdaddy1

I am leaning more towards velvet....
Do you know what the best treatment is for velvet?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post some pictures? Description? You will need a well cycled quarantine tank. The treatment is copper, but you can't put copper in your display.

P

puffdaddy1

Beth, Thanks for your response.
Is there a particular reason that I can't use copper in my display tank?
I would have somewhat of a difficult time getting the 3 fish out of my display that I think have the velvet.
I know copper can be dangerous, and the levels can be hard to control. Is there another option?
Sorry, don't have any pictures, will try to get some.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can not keep live rock, inverts, live sand, in a tank that has been exposed to copper. All of these things will die in a copper exposed environment.
If your fish are still alive, I don't believe you have "velvet". Notice heavy breathing/gilling? Have fish died?

P

puffdaddy1

Yes all the fish are alive and eating well. In doing more research on velvet, it doesn't really seem like they have all the classic signs of it. The spots on their bodies definetly aren't "gold dust" appearing, however it doesn't really look like ich either. It seems like a "body slime", but not to that degree. I noticed it on the clown, the puffer and one of my jeweled damsels. Sorry I don't have a pic.
I just really need to know what to do, I don't want to ignore something that could turn into a widespread problem.