Maroon Clown fish fins turning black

Kunal Patel

Hi

I have a maroon clown fish in my 120 tank and noticed that the two fins are deteriorating and turning black, I thought at first maybe one of my other fish was picking on it but now both fins are the same. I am not sure what to do. Please let me know.
Thank you

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long has it been since first noticing this? Are the fins actually frayed (hard to tell because your pic is blurry.) How long have you had this fish? What are your water readings? What and how often are you feeding this fish? Is the fish eating and otherwise acting normal?

Kunal Patel

I noticed it for a little more than a week now, the fins look frayed. I have had the fish in my tank for about 6 months now. My water readings are normal, I do a weekly water changes no Ammonia, Nitrates or Nitrites at least unreadable in the test if not zero, and salinity is 1.022. She eat almost anything I feed her, I will be feeding my eel, pieces of squid and krill and she will go for that too, I also use frozen veggie cubes by San Francisco Bay. I have also thrown ghost shrimp in my tank for my triggers and eel and she will eat them. I feed my fish every other day or every two days depending on what I feed them and how much they eat. I do soak all my food in garlic prior to feeding. Overall she is acting normal, and picks on all my fish.

jay0705

What type of triggers? I'am not a trigger hater lol but my nigger was fraying the fins on my golden sleeper headed goby.

Kunal Patel

I have a Nigger and a Blue throat in the tank, the other tank mates are snowflake eel, Foxface, Yellow tang, Hippo Tang, Bamboo Shark, three spot damsel and green chromis. When I am looking at the tank I don't any aggression towards the clown fish, usually she is picking on the other fish. Might be a different story when I am not watching. The Nigger is usually bullying the blue throat. The other fish are a bit bigger than her but she usually holds her own.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest to start feeding your fish daily. It is not really natural for fish to have to wait 2 days to eat. Normally fish spend much of their time foraging around for food. Is the garlic fresh or bottle? Back off from that for now it may be related reaction to overdosing.

Do you have a quarantine tank?

jay0705

I have a Nigger and a Blue throat in the tank, the other tank mates are snowflake eel, Foxface, Yellow tang, Hippo Tang, Bamboo Shark, three spot damsel and green chromis. When I am looking at the tank I don't any aggression towards the clown fish, usually she is picking on the other fish. Might be a different story when I am not watching. The Nigger is usually bullying the blue throat. The other fish are a bit bigger than her but she usually holds her own.
I never saw it either until I moved the trig and his fins grew back lol

Kunal Patel

I have her in a quarantine tank, I usually use bottled garlic by seachem, I have been using this for quite some time. I got medication hopefully that will clear it up.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with what Bang Guy said about bottled garlic. Big waste of money. Fresh garlic, however, a good choice in some situations.

Is your QT cycled?