Melee's new BioCube 14 tank diary! Pics

meleerock

So im super excited about getting my new tank. I havnt had a tank in quite a while and have really been itching to get one again. While I have not officialy got it yet, im picking it up from another member who frequents the site tomorrow. As soon as I do get it ill will be sure to post lots of pics.
Specs:
14 gallon Biocube
MaxiJet1200 pump
Mini-heater
one filter chamber changed to mini-fuge with LR and cheato. Paint scraped from the back to allow light in from the light box (doesnt make sense but Ill post pictures)
Around 15 lbs. fully cured live sand
20lbs. fully cured live rock
Stock lighting
BioCube Stand
Seachem Marine Salt
Portable reftractometer
Salifert test kits
I plan to do softies, some acan lords.
Also plan to do 10% water changes every week with RO water purchased at a LFS
No additives, I believe regular water changes keep ontop of replenishing trace elements
Fish:
1 - Pajama Cardinal
1 - Bumble Bee Shrimp Goby
Inverts:
1 - Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Clean-up Crew: (Will add more later if needed)
2 - Emerald Crabs
2 - Certith Snails
4 - Nass Snails
4 - Turbo Snails
2 - Blue Knee Hermit Crabs (extra shells)
2 - Scarlet Hermit Crabs (extra shells)
I think that covers everything! I will post pics tomorrow when I get the tank set up and post pics of the progress as it happens! Demartini - you better look out!
Just kidding, I dont think I could top your tank
Bryan

meleerock

Picked the tank up a bit ago and got everything set up. Im waiting for some of the sand to settle and will take a few pics. Im getting the live rock tomorrow so there is just sand in there now. It looks like an awesome little tank and im super excited to start adding fish and corals!
Bryan

meleerock

Here are the pictures. No posts though! I understand, its boring right now.
The first one is the tank all set up. Im getting the cured LR tomorrow and hoping I wont have a big cycle since both the sand and LR are from an established tank. Second is of the filter chambers. One is filled with LR rubble the other is filled with cheato. Tomorrow I will get some pics up when I get the LR aquascaped how I want it. Alright, im done blabbering.
Bryan

meleerock

I picked up the live rock today and am very pleased. There is one bigger peice and a few smaller ones all with lots of purple coraline. I like the aquascaping which usually is a struggle for me. Let me know what you guys think. I think there is a total of 15 lbs or a little bit more. Here is a pic! Let me know what you all think!
Bryan

L

lbaskball

Looks like you dont have that tray in the middle chamber, doesnt it make a lot of splashing noise ?

meleerock

over 80 views and one other post. Lets see them post. Im going to ghost feed the tank for about a week, if I dont see signs of a cycle I am going to add my clean up crew and a PJ cardinal.
Bryan

meleerock

The light itself is not in the chamber. While I bought the tank like this, it seems like a simple mod. If you scrape off the paint type stuff on the back there will be a see-through plastic. Take a box, poke some vent holes in it, and stick a small light in it. Velcro the box to the outside of the tank and you have a fuge.
Bryan
Here is a pic of the light box.

meleerock

Originally Posted by Cherish life.
wow good idea...but doesnt glass cut down on alot of beneficial uv rays?
I have heard it does. The previous owner has never had a problem with and says the cheato needs to be trimmed about once a month. The cheato looks healthy and growing so I guess the glass does not effect it too much.
Clay12340 - Thanks. It is awesome I will admit. Too bad I can not call it my idea. The previous owner did it, but thankful it was done!

Bryan

meleerock

Update:
I like my diary, even if its mostly to myself

The tank has been running for two days and I decided I should do a test on my levels:
Temp: 80
Specific Gravity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1
Calcium:345 (low)
Alkalinity: 12.64 dKH (high)
Phosphate: 0
Somehow I misplaced my nitrate and pH test kits. Im going to look for them tomorrow.
I plan on going to the MASM frag swap in michigan August 26th so I plan on getting some nice pieces. Im thinking zoas, maybe recordea, possibly an aussie acan. Being the tank is set up for nearly a month with little cycle and good water quality would it be too early to possibly put a Caulastrea in the tank? What exactly does a head mean? lol. Is the branch cut off of the main stem or cut off by the mouth (for lack of a better word)? The offer is $6 a head. Regardless it sounds pretty cheap!
Thanks! Looking forward to the replies.
Bryan

clay12340

You shouldn't be having measurable nitrites if your tank is cycled. I'd double check it and if you get a reading again take it to a LFS to have it checked again. If they find it as well I'd hold off on adding anything until that is under control.

meleerock

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to wait til I get no readings of ammonia and nitrite. I then plan on doing a water change to try to get my alk. and calcium levels in order. Is 20% too much of a water change after the cycle? After the water change I am going to add my clean up crew.
Bump for the few other questions in my previous post!
Will test my pH and nitrate in a bit.
Thanks again for the replies and looking forward to more!

Bryan

meleerock

Just picked up some test kits for pH and nitrate:
pH seems to be around 8.0 although it was hard to match up with the chart
Nitrate is 0.
Hopefully when I do a water change my pH, Alk, and calcium will go back to proper levels.
Bryan

meleerock

I just tested my ammonia and nitrite to see if there was a change. And here is my nitrate I also tested tonight.
Ammonia: Still 0
Nitrite: .1 lol...dropped almost 1 ppm in a day.
Nitrate: 0
I wanted to keep a list of the corals I am getting at the MASM frag swap (fist swap so im excited
). I will add more as I reserve more so check back on this post for the list. I am sure I will get a few more there. I will post pictures after the swap when they are in my tank.
3 polyps of all Pink Zoas
3 polyps of all Blue Zoas
5 poylps of Orange Bam Bam Zoas
3 Polyps of Neon Green Cloves
(I think thats all the reserving im going to do. I might get a few more nice pieces at the swap.)
More to come soon!
Thats it for now!
Bryan