Meowzer's LED build

meowzer

OK...the revised "parts" list has been sent to my consultants....Shawn and Corey...LOL....once it is good to go.....It will be posted

meowzer

OK EVERYONE......THE LIST IS READY!!!!!

6 - 5.886" x 23" heatsink from heatsinkusa $207
RAPID LED ITEMS
159 total LEDS as follows
9 Royal Blue leds $2.50 ea (no lense required)
50 creexp-e blue leds with 55 deg lense $5 ea
25 creexp-e royal blue with 40deg lense $4.60 ea
50 creexp-g R5 cool white led with 40 deg lense $6 ea
25 cree xr-e warm white led with white lense $5.50 ea
5 tubes arctic alumina thermal adhesive $6.99 ea
1 DYI 2 color dimming kit $30
1 Meanwell ELN-60-48D Dimmable (for moonlights) $34
UNNAMED SUPPLIER**
2 HLG240H-48B drivers for white and blue strings $118.95 ea
FROM GRAINGER
8 6 terminal terminal strips stock#6yh65 $8.42 ea
4 2 terminal terminal strips stock #6yh63 $2.84 ea
2 tubes acrylic glue stock # 4yxo5 $28.20 ea
1 48 x 96 x 1/8 clear acrylicsheet stock# 1unw6 $110.15
1 48 x 96 x 1/4 black acrylic stock# 1upa9 $194.25
FROM REEFLEDLIGHTS.com
2 2 fan kits with power suppy $15.95 ea.
1 10k linear potentiometer $3.45
1 knob for above $3
FROM DIGIKEY.com
25 fuses part# F2313-ND $13.27
20 Resistors part# UB5C-1.0-ND $14.52
OK..we will also need to get aluminum angle stock to connect the heat sinks together, this will come from Home Depot....no price as of yet.
edited spelling

kiefers

yeah for me!!!! BTW....... since when did you adopt Cory? "Mom" lol.....and where has Carlos been? New girlfriend?

kiefers

ooookay then...... Lol. you couldn't ask for better consultants. I think I have a few too, Dad's more or less. Lol.

acrylic51

Hey Meowzer list looks good!!!! Check with the supplier for all the drivers. He might work you a little better deal, also ask him if they have both versions of the ELN drivers. Worth a shot to ask.

spanko

Is my math correct at about $2,252.87 for the above stock list?
If so that would purchase almost 4 AI SOL super blues modules with controllers.
Why go through all of the build trouble unless you are wanting to have the satisfaction of a DIY gig?

acrylic51

Your correct Henry, but I think the setup could rival the AI.... The mere fact if there would be an issue the unit can easily be diagnosed since built in house, and the overall fact of complete ability to customize, add, swap colors, which you can't do with AI. With the AI there's still additional costs if you want to be able to utilize all their bells and whistles... So even if you think about the Vertex would be a better store bought option to the AI????
Don't get me wrong I've even tossed the idea around of AI vs DIY, but still think a cheaper alternative with the addition of a good controller.
Meowzer, you can shave off some cash on acrylic solvent and the acrylic!!!! Both are expensive, and you'd want to use WeldOn 4, and seriously only need 1 can not 2. As far as the acrylic I will email you a place you can get your pieces precut to size and not have to worry about buying excess material that isn't needed.

spanko

Actually the AI pucks can be easily changed to add different options. There is a thread over on that other site we can't link to anymore that has the procedure and how really simple it is. I'll see if I can find and and copy the post that shows it.
But yeah, I so understand the DIY excitement and the knowledge you gain of your own system by creating it yourself. I am not that handy plus I think the AI controller is amazing in it's capabilities.

acrylic51

I agree with you Henry on the changeable pucks, but I was referring more to the ability to add in reds, greens, whatever it might be your after. I'm not sure if AI offers those color choices? I think the verdict is still out somewhat on what is missing/lacking with the LEDs, but the basic color concept is there. I think it's more me though if I shell out $600.00 I'm less apt to opening it up toying with it though. For that money it should be perfect IMO. I must say they are impressive though. As you mentioned can't link anymore, but there is a build where a guy used AI solely from conception on his huge tank and it looks incredible!!!!!

spanko

Well if you are from Canada eh...................................................
In this discussion...........................................http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+LED+puck&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Xc0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=605&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=7HlKTpruJoX-sQK48Zy-CA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBEQ_AUoAQ#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=aIL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=led+puck+lights&pbx=1&oq=LED+puck&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=20011l20011l0l22841l1l1l0l0l0l0l194l194l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=3fa10b70b59adaf9&biw=1280&bih=605

travelerjp98

once again, these LED builds are getting too confusing for me... lol... but I'll still be following along for the chance that I'll learn something...