Meowzer's LED build

spanko

Go to the first link here acrylic. Page 72 on my computer, post number 1777.
http://www.google.com/search?q=aquaillumination+par+measurements&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a
Also Lois in regards to your PM you may also want to look at this thread, especially some of the later posts to see what others have done with the AI modules over large tanks. That said it is an excellent thread to read in its entirety to gain some knowledge about the AI units and their usage.

acrylic51

You referring to how the pucks are swapped out Henry?? I was asking if they had any other color options other than white & blue???

spanko

Yeah no other color options right now and by the looks of the pucks and the emitter mounting not that easy to make a emitter switch. Only colors are the White - Blue - Royal Blue pucks.

acrylic51

I forget exactly where, maybe Corey can remind me.... It might be Cutter, but you could have those pucks special built with your color options, but at a cost!!!!:flame: it was something like a $100 setup fee to start plus parts and what not!!!

2quills

Those pucks look quite a bit different than the ones I seen on cutters. I'd have to check them out again. If there is an easy way to remove a chip without damaging the contact underneath then it should be pretty easy to simply solder a new chip onto the puck.
I don't think there's any doubt the A.I.'s put out some nice par. I think on Meow's tank though in order to get the kinda numbers that would allow her to keep whatever she wants wherever she wants she'd have to order them with the 40 degree optics. But once you do that you sacrifice alot of coverage. She'd need probably 6 of them to get the coverage that her diy plans would give her. What are they about $600 per module? So $2400 for 4 pluss tax, shipping and the extra for the controler. And 6 would be upwards of $4000 there abouts.
When it came down to reasoning and determining how many to go with on her tank we followed the recommdations for a general rule of thumb set put out by one of the well known websites that sells the products needed for DIY. That information has been gained by the combined experiences of DIY'rs from places like the site we're not supposed to talk about or link to. As well as their own observations. The way it breaks down is this.
400watt halide equivalent: 36-48 leds
250watt halide equivalent: 24-36 leds.
Leaning towards the higher end for her 30" deep tank. The plan would be to do 3 banks of 48 leds a piece for the equivalent of 3 - 400w halides. Her tank has 2 braces - 3 openings. One for each opening. This would allow her to have the flexibility of whatever she wants if she needs it withought having to sacrifice par or coverage. Again, the equivalent of this would be like 6 A.I's. So half the price round abouts.
She'll be able to dim manually. Or she could purchas a rapid pwm controller for about $70 bucks which would give her dawn to dusk control ramp up and ramp down and moonlight schedule I believe as well. With these drivers she could choice which ever way she wants to go. If random thunderstorms is her poisen she could upgrade to a profilux, apex, or reefkeeper controler down the road for additional cost.
So not dissing A.I.'s, I think they are great fixtures. But still think for a comparibility then you still come out cheaper on diy. Pluss the 4 colors is a nice benefit. Having the neutral whites on there is going to give her not only better color pop out of reds, oranges in the tank but the added area of red spectrum that they put out will help maximize growth to. That's an area of the spectrum that the cool whites and blues just simply don't produce. Or at least not enough to really be noticed.
Just my .02 All we can do is make recommendations. Lois and Hubby can chose for themselves. You know me, I like a good diy project. I think that fact that Hubby who isn't even in the hobby offered to build it for her is pretty cool. Good learning experience for all.

meowzer

Waiting for a little info from 2 suppliers, BUT the way it looks right now is...I will be ordering the Heatsink and the 3 drivers tomorrow
Friday evening we will go to Home Depot and buy the aluminum channel stuff....and who knows what else....LOL....

2quills

Forgot a few things on the list I think.
Soldering iron
Solder
20 guage stranded wire
Heatshrink and heat gun would be nice. But you could use a torch instead of a heat gun if you're careful.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/40#post_3408344
Forgot a few things on the list I think.
Soldering iron
Solder
20 guage stranded wire
Heatshrink and heat gun would be nice. But you could use a torch instead of a heat gun if you're careful.
We have a soldering iron, and we will pick up more solder at Home Depot..he thought of that already...LOL
I know he wants some little miscellaneous stuff that we didn't list....some screws and I don;t remember what LOL
OH YEAH....WIRE.....LOL....I wonder if we can get that at Home Depot

A TORCH
FOR WHAT?????? (he is gonna do this in the shop)

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/40#post_3408350
OH YEAH....WIRE.....LOL....I wonder if we can get that at Home Depot

A TORCH
FOR WHAT?????? (he is gonna do this in the shop)
Should be able to find some 20 guage wire at the depot. If not then radio shack perhaps. Rapid definitely under accessories on page 2.
Heatgun for heat shrink would be better. For making the connections on the power wires to the plug ins for the recepticals. That reminds me, I don't know if those were on the list either. Accessories page 1 over at rapid you need three 3 prong power cords. They're cheap.
This is the best way to connect them to the drivers.

The black stuff around the wires is heat shrink. You slip it over the wires first before you connect them. And then you apply heat and the rubber shrinks tight to the wires and seals them. But it's optional. You could connect them with wire nuts if you want.

meowzer

OK...Got that noted...since he is on nights I won't see him ..LOL...SO I printed that out....He has mentioned plugs though...just don't remember where from...LOL
I'm downloading Google Sketchup for him....LOL

meowzer

OKAYYYYY....Just ordered the 3 drivers...they should ship the 20th
ALSO ordered the heat sink....YAYYYY....THIS IS NOW REAL

E

eric b 125

i'll be following this thread. This looks pretty interesting, albeit over my head. meowzer, could you point me in a direction on a reliable source to learn more about a diy led? i have no experience doing something like this, but i am very teachable and would like to read up on it.

cranberry

Wow! Awesome.
We're replacing all our lights with LEDS little buy little. I need to get out of the 5th tier.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///forum/thread/387353/meowzer-s-led-build/40#post_3408473
i'll be following this thread. This looks pretty interesting, albeit over my head. meowzer, could you point me in a direction on a reliable source to learn more about a diy led? i have no experience doing something like this, but i am very teachable and would like to read up on it.
LOL...well Eric I wish I could.....Corey (2quills) and Shawn (Acrylic51) have been our consultants, and my husband is doing all the work
There are some great youtube videos that have been sent to us and I will send them to you if you would like
I am thinking if you follow this, it may help you too.....that is kinda my purpose here