MH Layout

acrylic51

Trying to figure out my MH layout on my new 240 setup...Tank is 8' long and I know MH should be placed every 2', but I'm kinda puzzled do I start the measuring from the very end or what??? If I start the measuring from the end and go every 2' I comes out I would need 5!!!! It seems kinda senseless to have a MH at the very end of the tank. What I then did was measure in 1' for the 1st MH and then went every 2' after that and the last MH would fall 1' from the end of the tank. Is my thinking off or what?

dogstar

acrylic....
If you have 4 bulbs, do like you said last. Put a lamp measuring from end at 1, 3, 5, 7 ft with 1ft left. A lamp should COVER 2ft. My tank is 6 ft. and my lamps are at 1, 3, 5 ft. right down the center or slightly to the front.

acrylic51

Yeah I was thinking and looking at my old setup, and sometimes you just go brain dead... I just couldn't fathom in my mind why the hell you'd want a bulb on the end.... I'm going with the idea of first bulb 1" from end then 3',5' then 7' still haven't decided if I'm going with DE or SE... Kinda sucks in this area, because no place runs the DE to get an idea of what I might try....Might just stick with the SE running XM....I'm going to run the HQI IceCap ballasts so if down the road I can make the transition pretty easy....
Thanks Guys!!!!