Minimum Salinity for LR

aquarius 1

What is the lowest salinity that liverock can be kept at without harming the beneficial bacteria and organisms? I tend to keep all three of my tanks at the lower end of the salinity spectrum...1.018. But what's the minimum for live rock?

bang guy

IMO anything less than natural saltwater (35ppt) is a mistake unless you're keeping bay/estuary animals and/or brackish water animals.

clarkiiboi

I'm not sure of what the minimum salt level would be, but why do you want it to be low? 2 tangs, 1 trigger, and 2 angles in a 75? I hope you have plans on upgrading.

tigerlover

I agree with Melody, natural seawater is 0.23 to 0.25 usually. if I were you I'd add extra salt in your next water change

fshhub

I keep it at 1.025 and if you have many snails, I can say that from what I have seen, the snails do much better at that level then they did at 1.020

bdhough

Don't forget the corraline algae. I think it needs .024 or higher. Mine is .026/.027 right now and it seems the corraline is finally taking off, as are the corals.

azeritis

I think that many people in the hobby do not realize the relationship between sg and salinity. Specific gravity is an easy way to infer salinity. What really matters though is salinity which should be kept at around 35 which is natural salinity around reefs. The acceptable range for invertebrates is between 34 and 36, while fish can tolerate lower values.
I will give you a couple of examples:
SG measures 1.0210 and the temp in the tank is 75
The density in that tank is 1.0231 and the salinity infered is 31
SG measures 1.021 and the tem in the tank is 78.8
The density in that tank is 1.0236 and the salinity infered is 32
In order to infer salinity from SG you must know the temp for which your sg meter is calibrated.
I suggest Tullock's Water Chemistry for the Matrine Aquarium, which is an easy crash course into chemistry that every aquarist should know.