Missing Fish-Could be wild fish eating rats?

Weatherboy

Okay bought a powerhead. Got a 800 gph for my 55gal.
Needless to say, even though I have it opposite side of filter and towards the top of the water, it's blowing crap everywhere, despite not blowing on the sand.

Too powerful? Tank looks like I just added sand.

I also have a marineland 350 for 75 gal. LFS says I need other one for proper filtration. This true?

lmforbis

The crap blowing around is the crap that needs to be removed by the filter. Blowing is good. I do that intentionally to my rocks every few weeks to get the ditritus out. You probably have a lot since you haven't had a power head. Let the filter do its job then clean the filter really good. You might have to clean it a couple times.

Shilpan

Hey mate! Since it's been a few hours has the debris and sand settles in your tank?

So you currently have one power head in, and the LFS is reccomending another. If you want you can add it to get good flowin your tank (so detritus doesn't settle so your filter cleans it out regularly preventing nutrient build up). I have two powerheads opposing each other to create turbulent flow (as I don't have a wavemaker).

I think one should do for now and you add another later if you need it? (E.g if detritus is building up in areas or corals which like more flow aren't getting enough)

Ok so you've got the powerheads sorted. How's everything else going mate?

lmforbis

You might be able to get away with one marineland 350. You can always add another later if it is necessary.

Weatherboy

Hey mate! Since it's been a few hours has the debris and sand settles in your tank?

So you currently have one power head in, and the LFS is reccomending another. If you want you can add it to get good flowin your tank (so detritus doesn't settle so your filter cleans it out regularly preventing nutrient build up). I have two powerheads opposing each other to create turbulent flow (as I don't have a wavemaker).

I think one should do for now and you add another later if you need it? (E.g if detritus is building up in areas or corals which like more flow aren't getting enough)

Ok so you've got the powerheads sorted. How's everything else going mate?
Looked this am. Not as much stuff in the water, but you can see thin clouds blowing around. Certainly not as clear as before. Try again this afternoon.

As for the rest of the tank. All else seems good. Just waiting on more fish, as it seems I need more equipment than before. The powerhead was already on order, but still unsure if I need to continue, especially with being told I might need another filter, protein skimmer, and a quarantine tank with another filter, heater. Wife wasn't happy.

I should have done more reading and not trust my LFS who said no big deal and not much more since I had the tank already.

Thanks again for all the help. Love the tank idea though!!

jay0705

You do not need a skimmer. Only for reef tank do you. As far as the qt issue some lfs will do it for you. Doesn't hurt to ask. Also certain online sellers qt there fish prior to sale.

lmforbis

You can get a QT tank with a sponge filter and a heater for probably under $30. ***** has their $1 per gallon sale going on now.

Personally I don't think you need the second filter, at least not yet. Eventually you may want a second depending on your bio load.

I just use a small air stone and heater in my QT, no filter.

one-fish

Agree with Imforbis $30 for 10g QT QT tank does not need to be running all the time just when needed and ready for use if required.

Weatherboy

So...got a friend who wants to ditch his 90gal tank with all stuff for $200 including stand. A thought. Its missing a fitted black top, and light he wants to sell separate for $100.

BUT, in reality, how much more tools what I need to upgrade to make it my FOWLR instead of my 55gal? Figure I could sell my 55 gal for nearly that same price with a nice stand and wooden hood.

I know I need more sand and maybe another filter...but can add more live rock along the way.This would certainly give me more options of fish.

jay0705

Top is no biggie. If it was me i would do it. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. However you'll need more power heads possibly larger filter

lmforbis

Agreed. I'd pass on the light. You can get a SW light for that amount(not for coral) and the tank will look better with a fixture that is meant for salt water.

Weatherboy

And I already have a light.
So it seems like another bag or so of live sand, and more salt, I'm ready to go...depending on filter?

lmforbis

You don't even need live sand. Regular argonite (not silica sand) sand is cheaper and works fine.

Weatherboy

And I don't "need" more live rock right now do I?

So $300 hopefully cheaper is good? Even if a petsmart version?

He does have glass top.