Mixing sw

jay0705

Ok folks iam having issues . When ever i mix fresh sw my test shows ammonia threw the roof!!!! Why??

2quills

Could be from the tap water. Does your city sanitize with chloromines? Most do these days.

2quills

Well I'd test the tap water and test some freshly made (non mixed) ro water.

Our city water fluctuates a lot so I run dual carbon because the levels can be so high sometimes. And not all carbon blocks are created equal.

BRS did a good video on how well or not so well some of the carbon filters on the market perform.

jay0705

Ok thank you. How bout this theory. I googled it and this was one answer.
When newly mixed ammonia will show until gas exchange is completed. Believable??

2quills

It will let u know if ammonia is there one way or another. Just might not be super accurate. But then again, which test kits are?

jay0705

Just the r o is zero. I truely feel like an ass, i almost dumped all 30 gals of it. Thinking one of the cats some how peed in my water lol

2quills

He could have tried marking the bucket like it's his territory ya never know.

I don't know how you mix your water but I like to use a decent sized power head that keeps the water churning on the surface. The more aeration/agitation the better IMO.

jay0705

Ah hmm, i could use a bigger one. I use to use a big one until i put it in a tank. Now i use a smaller one.

jay0705

Ok quills, this am i tested the mix still ammonia after mixing all night. . Tested my ro again this time let it sit an hr, it does show trace ammonia

lmforbis

I’d look into a carbon block that removed chloramines.
I’m assuming you don’t add anything but salt to your mix, no water conditioners correct?

jay0705

Correct, ok i will look into this. This do it your self ro thing is new to me. I use to buy it. I was really getting pissed bc i even changed salts thinking that was an issue.
So the carbon block will say it removes this stuff?

2quills

I use the universal carbon blocks from BRS. They're $16 but well worth it. If chloromines or ammonia male it past the carbon stage it will burn out the membrane a lot faster.