I have a 5ftx20x30inch marine aquarium with a stocklist of
Desjardini Sailfin tang - 7 inch
Zebra moray eel - 38 inch
Yellow tang - 5 inch
2x common clown fish - 3 inch
Flame angel - 3 inch
2x damsel - 1.5 inch
Now heres the problem
I want to add another eel but the eels that have caught my eye for years is the dragon moray eels such as;
. Hawaiian dragon moray - 12 inch
or
. Brazilian dragon moray - 12 inch
I can get both of these morays as LFS near me have them.
I know not all my fish can stay with these morays so what would you guys recommend removing from the tank?
Are the dragon morays compatable with the zebra moray?
Would really help if I could get your opinions
Cheers

rainbow grouper

Moray eels IMO should be reserved for the advanced hobbyists but if you have 1 moray i don't reccomend another also if i understand your tank dimensions correctly i dont think its wide enough for 1 moray eel. Also unless you plan on upgrading your tank get rid of the sailfin tang they need a minimum of a 180 gallon tank and they need a lot of open swimming space

marinecm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow grouper http:///t/387640/moray-eels-in-a-150-gal#post_3412784
Moray eels IMO should be reserved for the advanced hobbyists but if you have 1 moray i don't reccomend another also if i understand your tank dimensions correctly i dont think its wide enough for 1 moray eel. Also unless you plan on upgrading your tank get rid of the sailfin tang they need a minimum of a 180 gallon tank and they need a lot of open swimming space
Hello rainbow grouper!!!
first off thanks for replying
No disrespect, But I have to disagree with your first comment because there are many morays for hobbyists that have just started out in marine aquariums because they are quite easy to keep and my zebra moray has actually been one of the hardiest fish I have kept and I have had my fishes for nearly 3 years with no problems from him at all and eels are one of my favorite fishes.
Um Im not to sure what you mean by its not wide enough as thats nearly 2ft of width which I have been told is enough?
I plan on uprading in about 2 - 3 years ish so thats not a huge problem at the moment
I am just curious if anyone thinks that the dragon moray and the zebra moray could co-exist in this tank? and if so what I would have to get rid of?

rainbow grouper

well as you should know the size of a tank does NOT stunt an eels growth and the dragon moray needs atleast 180 gallons the two should be able to coexist but you definetly need to get rid of the damsels (i dont want to say this) the flame angel and the clownfish. Not sure about the yellow tang thats really is a 50 50 in IMO. your choice. also the dragon morays will only grow to 2 inches less then your zebra moray

marinecm

Yep I know that the tank doesnt stunt the eels growth, and I wouldnt want that anyway. Oh ok I thought the min tank size was 125 gals but if its 180 then I will upgrade in a few years. Ok so thats good to know the two eels can go together. Thanks for your help

fmarini

Maybe I can point out the obvious here.
Zebra morays are pebbletoothed eels which favor and eat primarily crustaceans, so your fish tankmate populations are safe. They are very docile and only pose a threat to toppling your rockwork- I would consider them one of the best fish safest eels.
In the opposite corner you have the fang-toothed eels, such as the two aggressives you've listed. Both eels are fish eaters and would most likely wipeout your fish, and potentially your zebra, so assuming you even want fish in the eel tank.
Most hobbyists i know that have dragon eels primarily keep them in a species-only system as they tend to get larger, and are pretty aggressive towards tankmates. So even thou they are totally wicked looking, they are probably not the tankmates you want.
my opinion -of course
frank

marinecm

Ok thanks Fmarini for you advice
So do you think the dragon moray is likely to attack the zebra moray then?
As if I get it, it will be 12 - 18 inch and my zebra moray is 36 inches long so would this be a good chance that they would get along if the zebra is much larger? And is the tank size ok for these two eels?
Also would It try to eat a large sailfin tang?
Thanks for helping me

bberr76

Yep I know that the tank doesnt stunt the eels growth, and I wouldnt want that anyway. Oh ok I thought the min tank size was 125 gals but if its 180 then I will upgrade in a few years. Ok so thats good to know the two eels can go together. Thanks for your help
I have kept dragon morays in 125 gallon tanks without any issue. Like other my have stated each fish/ eel has a different disposition. I have seen SFE more aggressive then Dragons. As far as growth a lot of people over feed their eels causing unormal growth rates. Rule of thumb feed only 1-2 times a week.