More questions about fallow

Shilpan

1. This maybe a silly question but can I feed pieces of shrimp or mysis shrimp or seafood mix to my shrimp while the tank fallows? Can Ich parasites attach to a cooked piece of meat?

2.does adding a bowl of sand for the sand shifting goby make it harder to treat Ich since Ich can attach there?

Thanks

jay0705

1 yes you can still feed the shrimp.
2 the treatment should kill any ich on the sand, but you can always use fresh sand to be sure

Shilpan

Thank you, so feeding mysis will not disrupt the fallow process and if after a few days of treatment I put in a bowl of sand for the goby this will not disrupt the treatment process (copper or hypo)

lmforbis

Agreed. I wouldn't feed cooked meat.

Copper will be absorbed into the sand so watch your levels closely. Through the sand away when you move the fish back.

I'd rather see new sand. I've read that some people put food just under the sand for sand shifters. With old sand I'd worry that some cysts may be in the sand and hatch after you stop treatment.

Shilpan

Oh yes yes it cooked meat, frozen mysis rather.

Ah yes I was thinking literally maybe a handful of sand max in a 150L tank in a small plate.

Ahh yes good point about the cysts. What happens if I don't give any sand to the goby for 3 months while in this tank?

Shilpan

Ohhh so the sand is only there for feeding? Not to stop him going insane or something without sand to sift? (I was worried that after a few months with no sand he would go crazy or something). I will add fresh new sand AFTER I've completed the 4 weeks copper treatment for him then.

And sweet that's no problem then. My goby is well trained he eats all prepared food like a pig.