Moving an anemone

verdemi

I recently purchased an anemone for my grandson to host his clown. The anemone decided his home would be in the back of the tank behind rocks, where it can barely be seen.
The clown has gone to it! But, is there any way to lure it from its current position to the front of the tank where it can be seen, without doing it manually by taking half the tank apart and moving live rock?
TIA
Mike

teds tank

an anemone will wonder the tank till it finds a proper spot it will move again but who knows were
you could move the lights more to the front of the tank and the anemone might follow
or you can put a mirror a long the back of your tank so you could still see the anemone
also you are very lucky that the clowns hosted it is supossed to be uncommon

gio28

my anemone also moved to the back of my tank after him and my clown have been together for 6 months right where i could see them...so now i see neither hardly. you cant really lure them any other way than letting themselves move to where they want....or else they will be stressed and it would just irritate them more. i would try and move the lights ted suggested but i dot know how that would work.

verdemi

Originally Posted by Teds tank
http:///forum/post/3140938
an anemone will wonder the tank till it finds a proper spot it will move again but who knows were
you could move the lights more to the front of the tank and the anemone might follow
or you can put a mirror a long the back of your tank so you could still see the anemone
also you are very lucky that the clowns hosted it is supossed to be uncommon
Why did all the replies disappear?
Anyway, thanks all who replied. prior to the deletion.
RE: *also you are very lucky that the clowns hosted it is supposed to be uncommon*
Huh? Is that humor?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Teds tank
http:///forum/post/3141019
most people buy anemone for thier clowns but the clowns mostly leave it alone
Indeed. Since clowns are pretty hardy, many people add them in, pretty early in their tanks. Since anemones are fragile and require mature tanks, most people add well after their clowns have already established a home. Also the fact neither Percula or Ocellaris clowns host bubble tips in the wild.....
Yes, it best to leave the anemone alone and definitely not move it yourself. What you can do is change the tank. Move the lights to the front as said, and also change the flow pattern in your tank. Try to get some flow blowing near directly towards the BTA, and he should move. Obviously DO NOT
use a powerhead that can suck in and damage the anemone.

julie853

I had the same problem with my BTA going behind the rocks,I moved the light closer to the front of the tank and he did move to the front allthough it took a couple of weeks.
My clown fish hosted my BTA right way.
I have never had a problem with my clowns hosting the BTA.Maybe I just got lucky.

Hmmm so does anyone have a recomendation for actually attempting to move the anemone. As I have learned a lot more about them, I found a spot in my tank that I'm 70% sure my anemone would love..
As of right now it sits at the very top near the water line on the front of the tank where the least light is (go figure right?). It only ever stays on the glass, and for the most part doesn't move. But with it so close to the water line water changes have become an extreme chore as I don't want to upset the nem by getting the water level below where it decided to stick!
Any help highly appreciated! I tried moving the flow towards its prior spot.. and it did start moving.. to the side.. it still stays at the top -.-

mikecurrin

Originally Posted by julie853
http:///forum/post/3141199
I had the same problem with my BTA going behind the rocks,I moved the light closer to the front of the tank and he did move to the front allthough it took a couple of weeks.
My clown fish hosted my BTA right way.
I have never had a problem with my clowns hosting the BTA.Maybe I just got lucky.

I have had my BTA for about a month now (give or take) clowns wont pay attention to it at all.
Well My BTA likes to hide out under the rocks at the bottom of the tank. I have been able to mess with his foot (bare handed I dont recommened to anyone) have not been stung, but have been able to get him off the rocks but by the time it reopens up the currents have pushed him back to the bottom where he makes his way back under the LR...

I actually had VERY good luck in moving my anemone. I was very careful (It was on the glass in the top left corner of the tank) to take the time to Coax it to let go and not force it at all. The whole process took somewhere around 30 minutes. Basically just took my finger (in a plastic bag) and ran it around the edge of the anemones foot until it decided to loosen up all the way around up to which it wasn't holding onto anything but a small bit of the plastic bag anymore.
Moved it to a nice spot I had picked out based on some general theories of why it chose that spot on the glass, and some things I had read about where they like to place there foot.
I moved it 3 days ago, it immediately latched onto the new LR location, and has been there for 3 days, it shifted itself maybe an inch to hide its foot better :)
Moral of the story is.. if it's on glass this can be safely done :)
also my clown that had been hosting my nem seems to be upset at it for not coming back.. but the other clown is now hosting, and seems to be trying to coax the other to join in. (the same thing happened the first time lol)