mushrooms

jay0705

Iam thinking of trying a bit of coral keeping and it seems mushrooms are an easy way to start. Is this true? Any reccomentations on a good type to start with?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/397410/mushrooms#post_3541961
Iam thinking of trying a bit of coral keeping and it seems mushrooms are an easy way to start. Is this true? Any reccomentations on a good type to start with?

Hi,

Mushrooms, Kenya tree and leathers are all good beginner corals.

jay0705

Ah ok thank u. I see are listed as peaceful others semi aggressive. Is that only towards other corals or everything? Fish, shrimp, ect?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/397410/mushrooms#post_3542010
Ah ok thank u. I see are listed as peaceful others semi aggressive. Is that only towards other corals or everything? Fish, shrimp, ect?

Hi,

Corals fight by using chemical warfare, some the more aggressive (bubble coral for example) also have sweeping tentacles. That means that they have these thin feelers that sting other corals nearby. Running carbon will usually take care of the chemical warfare. Placing an aggressive coral in a position by itself and down stream of other corals will prevent the tentacles from being able to reach them.

A healthy shrimp or fish has nothing to worry about, at least I never had any done in by a coral...anemones however do catch anything that is dumb enough to get too close, but they are an invert and not a coral.

If you do plan on SPS corals later, I wouldn't recommend putting mushrooms or any leathers in the tank, they don't seem to ever be able to dwell together. As for beauty and color....IMO nothing beats the non-photosynthetic corals. They don't need fancy expensive lighting, just good water flow and plenty of food. That means lots of water changes and really staying on top of things...which means they are not considered to be a beginners coral, but they are more tolerant of "dirty" water.

SPS corals need pristine conditions and very strong lights, they have 0 tolerance for nitrates, they are not IMO a beginners coral at all. LPS corals are just beautiful I agree, but again, not a beginners coral and they need strong lights as well.

jay0705

Hmm thank you flower. Its for my 56 column tank. So its high. Which I figured would be good for the lower light loving corals.

zoidberg01

If you don't have a lot of lightning try a sun coral but its nonphotosintetic so u have to target feed it frozen foods.weekly