My Framed in Wall 65 Gallon

john rambo

Hey all,

*Update* I finally got around to editing a video from start to finish. I hope you all enjoy it! I'm definitely thrilled with how the tank is continuing to do great (been running since January).

Just wanted to share a build I wrapped up on several weeks ago. I'll try to get better photos and a video in this thread at some point. Framing an aquarium in a wall has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember.

The tank is a 65 gallon Aqueon.

Very basic set up, but has been flawless for me for 4+ years (moved everything from a 46 to this). NO protein skimmer for years and zero issues with coral expansion and fish health - always low nitrates.IMG_4029.JPG

API Filistar M canister filter
Marineland Heater
Digital Temp Probe
Current USA Marine LED light

5-6' deep sand bed (75 lbs of sand)
I can't remember the live rock ratio - probably 50-75 lbs here

2 clowns
starry blenny
royal gramma
melanurus wrasse

4 healthy stalks of hammer coral
closed brain coral
candy cane
misc. mushrooms

I've had all 5 fish for several years now. Any opinions on adding 1 or 2 more fish, or am I stocked up already?

I'm leaning towards a flame angelfish or a blue spotted puffer (or both).

Hope you enjoy the photos and I'll try to get more up!

Attachments

Last edited:

mr. limpid

looks nice clean on viewing side. Are you putting some backing on the room side? Finish painting all the exposed wood in the room, you will thank yourself some day. good job

john rambo

looks nice clean on viewing side. Are you putting some backing on the room side? Finish painting all the exposed wood in the room, you will thank yourself some day. good job
Thanks, Mr. Limpid. I have some left over paint, so I'll hit the spots that are still exposed below. Luckily I painted all the wood the tank itself is in direct contact with already. I finally got around to editing a video of the build from start to finish. I hope you all enjoy it!

john rambo

Looks very nice! I just set up a 65 in my new house; it's a GREAT tank size, isn't it?
Sweet! I do enjoy it (wish I had a little more space though). I love how the tank itself is taller, allowing for better viewing angles. I also built the stand it sits on higher. I was originally concerned the tank being taller would make light penetration challenging for the lower sitting corals. I haven't had any issues so far though! Enjoy yours!

john rambo

This is a great vid. So envy people with DYI skills to set systems up like this.
Thanks, Beth! I definitely get a little silly in my videos. It was quite the process.. fortunately my father was able to assist. I learned quite a bit from him and feel ready to tackle a larger build down the road!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to have hiding space for the hidden aspects of tank equipment. Most of us have to try to get that stuff hidden away under cabinet, which then makes for very limited space and more hassle to get to.