My heater just broke... how long do I have

i<3fish

The glass on my heater broke so I will need a new one. How many days do you think it will take for my 55g tank to get cold? The earliest I can go is tomorrow. Will it get too cold for my fish? Are there any other ways to keep it warm?

yimmy

I would get one ASAP. It is winter so it might get cold pretty quickly. I would just not turn your house heat off and keep your house a bit "toastier" so the tank will cool. I wouldn't reccomend getting one any later than tommorow

aw2

Here's my story about glass heaters.
I once got a Scorpionfish from a LFS, in Chicago...no name on the tag.
Come to find out, it was a species that had never been seen in the hobby before and people at the Shedd Aquarium even said it was most likely a new species, caught and sent off as something else.
I had people from Shedd, Boston Aquarium, Berkely in Cali...just to name a few...that were hounding me, wanting that fish. I kept refusing and kept refusing and finally decided to give it to Shedd, with the understanding that if was truly a new species, I'd get credit for donating it to the aquarium.
The day before I was supposed to take it to Shedd, the glass heater in the Scorpions tank broke and killed the fish.
Just say no to glass heaters! Buy Titanium heaters...they're not that much more expensive.

yimmy

that would suck...I have a glass heater but I hid it in the overflow box...if it breaks will it kill my fish? if it could I'm getting a titanium heater tommorow

i<3fish

Its OK guys, I bought a Stealth heater. The one with the Thermo plastic. Its 250 watts. I bought it the day it broke, so no worries. AW2, that sucks so bad that it isnt even funny. Did you get ANY pics of it? How much was it?

corally

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
I dont understand what a heater does without glass over it? Does it electricute the fish?

Not sure about that, but when a heater explodes it can spray glass all over the tank.

rhomer

I have a titanium heater with the controller outside the tank. I went through 2 glass heaters in 8 months prior to getting this heater. I've had this one for 3 years. If you have a lot of pumps in your system I would think your temp will stay fairly stable. You could bump your heat up in the main room and you should be good to go for a while. My heater goes on very rarely, and my temp of my tank stays stable at 79.
Rob

robn

I had a glass heater break in my 29gal freshwater frontosa fry tank. I didn't know it was broken until I stuck my hand in the water....found out really quick!!!! Gave me quite a jolt. The fish were fine though.....the only thing I can think of is the fish are not "grounded" and I was.....don't know if that's it because I'm not an electrician, but it's my best guess.
I had a heater get "stuck" once and it spiked the tank up to 95.....I lost almost everything, all inverts and most fish. A couple of fish survived. Almost all corals died....from then on I've had my heater on a timer, 4 hours max at one time.....never had a problem since....

rhomer

Originally Posted by robn
from then on I've had my heater on a timer, 4 hours max at one time.....never had a problem since....
That's a great idea.

robn

Yes, paranoia can be a great thing
Seriously, it works for me....I'm a great believer in timers.

scsinet

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
I dont understand what a heater does without glass over it? Does it electricute the fish?
Possibly. Saltwater is extremely conductive. You should see what happened when I spilled some on a power strip. Lesson: Always have a SW tank running off a GFCI.
It's less likely to electrocute your fish if you don't have a grounding probe or anything else grounded in the water, and if the heater is in a sump or something other than the display tank. Electricity travels from the hot to neutral or the hot to ground, and always follows the shortest path, so unless the fish are between one of those two combinations, the electricity will likely not travel through them. If your heater is in your display tank, it's more likely a fish will end up between the wires (I.E. "in circuit").
AW2 is right. Always buy Titanium. 0% chance of breakage.
... and while you are at it, buy two. Even if the second one is glass, you can keep it on the shelf for emergency failures, quarantines, water changes, etc. As cheap as they are, there is no excuse not to.
I run two heaters on my system, both Won titanium heaters. One is set to 78, the other to 74. If the first one stops working for whatever reason, the tank will cool to 74 and the other one will kick in as sort of a "failover."

robn

I agree to buy Titanium heaters for the breakage issue.....but, the heater that "stuck" on me was a Won Titanium heater.....using a timer will give you some piece of mind.

firedog

Actually I have read in a couple of books to buy two heaters that are each half the size of what you need. That way if one gets stuck it will take longer to overheat the tank. Also if one breaks at least you have the second one to keep the tank from cooling off as fast.