Nano Reefers! Info and Tank Photos!

zap_dog

Finally got my LR ordered ..35 pounds of Bali Alor coming Thursday. Was online looking and found 80 pounds of Fiji LR for $50 !!! Thank god for friends looking for LR...haha.Pic is of Fiji I kept from 80 pounds,good coraline.Will donate what I dont want to friends tank when my Bali comes in Thursday.

zap_dog

Bali LR came in today looked nice. Some pieces bigger than expected.Wish I wouldn't have wasted my time building a rock wall for the back....can't see it anyway!! If you cant tell I love rockwork. Now it's like waiting for christmas again... for the tank to cycle and order my inverts.

nissan577

Originally Posted by The Bro
http:///forum/post/3219406
I have a quick question what is the difference between Zoa's and Paly's they look almost exactly the same to me?
from a reef site:
The difference between the Zooanthus (Button Polyps) and the Palythoa (Sea Mat) species is that Button Polyps, although colonial, do not share a common mat. They grow as individuals where the Sea Mats have a fibrous encrusting mat. Individuals of the Palythoa species can not be separated without cutting through this fibrous mat. Most Palythoa are sold as Button Polyps as the two species are very similar.
Button polyps are yet another easy to keep, and beautiful, addition to any nano reef. They are hardy and can adapt to many different conditions in nano reefs. These make a great beginner coral if you want to get your 'feet wet' in coral keeping. If you have a moderately lit system, you should place the button polyps in the lower portion of the aquarium. For low light systems, the button polyp colony can be placed virtually anywhere.

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3219411
from a reef site:
The difference between the Zooanthus (Button Polyps) and the Palythoa (Sea Mat) species is that Button Polyps, although colonial, do not share a common mat. They grow as individuals where the Sea Mats have a fibrous encrusting mat. Individuals of the Palythoa species can not be separated without cutting through this fibrous mat. Most Palythoa are sold as Button Polyps as the two species are very similar.
Button polyps are yet another easy to keep, and beautiful, addition to any nano reef. They are hardy and can adapt to many different conditions in nano reefs. These make a great beginner coral if you want to get your 'feet wet' in coral keeping. If you have a moderately lit system, you should place the button polyps in the lower portion of the aquarium. For low light systems, the button polyp colony can be placed virtually anywhere.
Thanks for clearing that up nissan

I think this would be a better place to post my NEWB questions, as more people veiw this site per day than my little ole diary thread

the bro

I was tring to get my 2nd chamber false floor out of my Biocube today, it wouldnt budge. Do i need to pull up or push down on it? I need to reuse it im scared im gonna break it!

the bro

Bubbles???
Ok im confused my outlit is not blowing bubbles, and yet there tiny little bubbles all over my LR. I blow them off and they come back. If you let them be they get bigger an eventually float to the top. /scratches head
Has any1 ever had this happen?

nissan577

it could be that your hose from your return pump to the out put has a hole or not tighten right. check it and make sure its force really good.

dankbardy31

What additives do you guys recommend adding to keep corals happy. I have a 24g nano cube and it has been running since last April. The only thing I have ever put in it so far has been Purple Up, however now that I just added a Monti and should be adding some other hard corals in the next couple months so please let me know what everyone uses. Thanks!

nissan577

please dont put purple up. within time coraline will start to grow. the best thing to use for a nano tank or any reef tank is the 2 part calcium alk solution. the one i use and recommend is the B-ionic. great buy and i got coraline within months.

the bro

When I got home i noticed 1 of my snails on the sand has not moved since i left for work this morning. So i reached down to place him on a rock or something and turns out he was dead. I placed the snail back where it was, and a couple minutes later i noticed a hermit making a meal of him. Guess he needed a new home so he decided to take the snails!
Too bad it had to be my biggest snail! Guess i can chaulk up my first death of my tank...