Need help identifying this ...

midland texas

Is this the good one or the nuisance one? It came on a live rock I bought a while ago there was just one but now there's five. Which I don't mind since there is really nothing in the tank but a CUC.

Thanks

Attachments

silverado61

Peppermint shrimp do but only small ones. You could inject them with concentrated lemon juice. Just don't go overboard with the juice because it raises the PH.
Just a thought.

beaslbob

I hear the molly miller blenny will eat those, cyano, and nuisance algaes as well. plus all types of other foods so it won't starve after cleanup.

my .02

geridoc

These are a major nuisance. You can control them with true peppermint shrimp (there are look-alikes out there that won't eat them) that will consume small ones, or with berghii nudibranchs (although I have never had luck with them, and they aren't cheap). The larger ones can be injected with kalkwasser or Joe's Jiuce. There are butterflies that will eat them, as will file fish. I have had best success using a 3-pronged approach.
  1. Adding peppermint shrimp to the tank ( Lysmata wurdemanni). Add more than one since some individuals never got the aptasia memo, and won't eat them, and others will consume as much as they can).
  2. Carefully inject the larger aptasia with a small amount of kalkwasser directly into the base using a 1 cc tuberculin syringe and a 30 ga needle.
  3. Be patient and persistent. It usually takes me weeks to months to completely eradicate evidence of aptasia, only to have them return 6 months later.
Good luck.

2quills

I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp on the smaller aiptasia. Sounds like you got some good tips to help with the larger ones already.

I've had a severe outbreak of them before and I won't be caught dead without a peppermint shrimp in my tank anymore.

dustintx

Peppermint shrimp do work, but if they are also eating fish food on a regular basis,they will mostly avoid the pest in question.
Id squirt it with some hydrogen peroxide. Dont go crazy,just a squirt or 2 directly on it.