Nervous

shroncejoy

I just purchased a Coralife Size 32 LED BioCube Aquarium Deluxe Complete Reef System/Package, does anyone have any knowledge into this as to whether I made the right choice?...I have owned freshwater tanks all my life, this is my first attempt at saltwater, so I'm scared, I figured getting a complete system would be the best route...Also what is y'alls opinion on using live rock and/or sand?

shroncejoy

Live rock is a must. Live sand isn't needed. Go slow be patient and do your homework. SW is not terribly hard
I've heard pros and cons to both, some say live rock is better and others say live sand...I've heard that LR can harbor some pretty nasty parasites and such, that's why I'm confused...

jay0705

Most reputable fish stores keep live rock in tanks with nothing else. So really the only thing you need to worry about are certain hitchhikers. Bristle worms, crabs, star fish, ect. Personally I don't worry about them. I've gotten all of the above as hitchhikers on my live rock aswell.
The benefits far out weigh the concerns. Live sand to buy is pointless. Most of what your paying for is dead already. Live rock will seed your sand bed and turn it live

shroncejoy

Most reputable fish stores keep live rock in tanks with nothing else. So really the only thing you need to worry about are certain hitchhikers. Bristle worms, crabs, star fish, ect. Personally I don't worry about them. I've gotten all of the above as hitchhikers on my live rock aswell.
The benefits far out weigh the concerns. Live sand to buy is pointless. Most of what your paying for is dead already. Live rock will seed your sand bed and turn it live
Thank you for the information...

luvmyreef

I personally use both. Also, it depends on the fish you want as well. For example, a yellow watchman goby likes to burrow and likes/needs the sand...:)

shroncejoy

Thank you, I know some people don’t even use sand, but I personally love the way it looks in an aquarium... I will be setting up this coming week so wish me luck...

luvmyreef

Yep, personal preference. I have done a bare bottom before and didn't care for it. I like the look of sand. Good luck with your set up. Post pics! :)

lmforbis

Even if your live rock had parasites, the time the tank is cycling will allow them to die off because there will be no fish in the tank. Like Jay said reputable stores will have their live rock in dedicated fishless systems. Ocasionally I've seen them with a single fish that is not for sale that is clean of parasites just to feed the rock adn keep the rock live. You can also start with dry rock, I like pukani dry rock from BRS, and a single piece of live rock to seed the dry rock. Dry rock is much cheaper. I like the Pukani because it has a lot of surface area and a lot of little caves.
I never use live sand. If it isn't stored properly between the source and your tank it may very well not even be live any more.

luvmyreef

Imforbis, Your absolutely right. I am actually using dry rock from my 180 for my new 40g breeder with live sand and a couple pieces of real live rock. I have also used the "life rock" by caribsea and find nothing wrong with that either. No pests, good color, and my corals actually grew on it. I believe I still have some of it dried in a box. I like using the bagged live sand, preferably the reef sand mix so my power heads do not blow it all over the place. I have not had any issues in using it over the years but sand is a personal preference I think. There are benefits to using it and benefits to not using it. I also use a product called "cycle" when starting up a new tank as well for the extra bacteria.