Never Assume MIA Fish Are Dead

merredeth

Now, here's a story that should be a learning lesson for all of us. It sure was a reminder for me based on so many stories I read here on the forum.
I'm setting up another tank over December as a gift for my mother-in-law for a Christmas gift. When I told her this was the gift I was giving her (she wanted one bad after seeing all of ours), I told her to go through a fish catalog I receive from another competitor and look at the types of fish she likes and write me a list so I can determine which ones are compatible.
So while her tank has been cycling, I then told her to put a number on the fish she likes from one to 10, and this way I can determine which ones are her favorites and which ones she just likes.
Number one on her list of all things was a strawberry psudochromis, second, third and fourths on her list were various damsels.
The tank has been cycling and I've informed her that I'm going to my LFS to buy salt and other supplies that she is going to need. While I am there my LFS has one strawberry pseudochomis which has markings around the eyes that look exactly like eyeliner was applied to the fish. Now, the fish is in good health, and since the markings on the eyes are just so cool looking, I decided to buy this particular fish and put it in one of my tanks to hold until her tank is ready for fish.
I prefer drip acclimation and did everything based on my own standard operating procedure which has been successful in the past and moved some rock around to screw with the other fish so no one picks on the new tankmate. Since this guy was at my local fish store for quite some time and I know the owner of my LFS QTs fish, I felt comfortable not having to QT this fish and he goes straight into my display tank.
The very next morning, this fish is missing in action. I'm thinking the fish is shy around the other tankmates and just wait for a day or two to see if this strawberry pseudochmis finds his way to viewing. It didn't happen, so I began to worry. Days three four and five roll around and I'm really worried. I have now gone through the tank and tore apart rock work looking for this fish. I can't find him and there is no evidence that he has jumped out While, I've never seen a pseudochimis jump out of a tank, but I'm going through everything trying to figure out where this fish is.
Meanwhile, another day passes and I've now witnessed my halloween hermit crab goes through molt. Seeing the evidence of this, I began thinking about the possibility that this son-of-a-gun had a hell of a meal before the molt, found the fish dead and ate it.
Today, I get up and turn on the tanklight and peeking out between some rock, there is the strawberry pseudochromis plain as can be. I am astonished and my jaw dropped. It has been over a week that this fish is literally missing in action and I have began to write him off, telling my husband, mother-in-law, niece and my daughter I don't know what happened to him but he's gone. No one other than fish geeks like myself members of this forum is going to believe this story. Everyone else in the family is going to think I went out and just replaced this fish and I'm pulling a fast one on all of them.
I've told this story as there is a lesson for all newbies and veteran fish hobbiests - don't assume crabs ate your fish or they just jumped ship. Sometimes, the fish are just she and elusive enough that even when you tear your rock apart looking for the fish, they can still find places to hide.
My mother-in-law is going to get a good laugh over this story when I talk to her later today and tell her this fish tale.
Anyone else out there have a story similar to share with others here? I'd certainly love to read them.
Denise M.
and making an eye doctor appointment today.

evea

My husband and I just purchased a Humu Humu Trigger recently. From the moment we put him in the tank our grouper was picking at him, but trigger didn't care. I thought for sure we bought a trigger that was too small and he was just going to be an expensive dinner for our grouper and puffer to share. The next morning we get up to see if he's still alive and couldn't find him anywhere. So we figured he was hiding and went to work. When we got home that afternoon we still didn't see him. We looked everywhere and I told my husband I thougt I saw something in one of the lighthouses. It was him, but he wouldn't come out! The stupid fish got stuck in top of the lighthouse! He tried to gently pull him out, but that didn' work. He tried to stick his finger throught the top and poke him out, but the fish bit him! We ended up taking the lighthouse out of the water and hitting it really hard the counter top twice before he fell out. Needless to say the lighthouse is not in there anymore and the fish is fine.

jobob

i have had this yellow watchman and his friend a candy cane pistol shrimp for about 2yrs now, at first i saw them all the time. then only 3-4 times a week, lately it goes months with out seeing him, the first time i thought he was dead. but about a month later there he was, i knew the pistol was still alive since i can hear him snapping. now it a nice surprise everytime i see him, i guess the pistol shrimp is keeping him well feed. cause i dont see him come out for food during that month. crazy fish.

mrdc

I didn't see my watchman for a month and assumed he was dead. One day I am cleaning my return pump and saw something yellow swim by. It was the watchman. I have no idea how it got through the filter media. He's back in the tank now and has seemed to found a comfortable cave to hide in. I haven't seen my pistol chrimp in awhile but I think I heard him popping last night.
The anthia was floating vertically in the water this morning so I asumed it died for reasons unknown. I got my net out and it shot away when I opened the canopy. I hope the fish is just acting strange.

fishrule

My friend's strawberry psudochromis did the same thing... Hid for 5 days the first time and then would hide for a day or two every now and then...
We did figure out where he went. These little guys can squeeze into the smallest of holes and will hid inside small holes in your Live Rock for protection... They find a hole that you wouldn't even think is a hole and will stay in it till they feel safe to come out again...

fishrule

Originally Posted by evea
My husband and I just purchased a Humu Humu Trigger recently. From the moment we put him in the tank our grouper was picking at him, but trigger didn't care. I thought for sure we bought a trigger that was too small and he was just going to be an expensive dinner for our grouper and puffer to share. The next morning we get up to see if he's still alive and couldn't find him anywhere. So we figured he was hiding and went to work. When we got home that afternoon we still didn't see him. We looked everywhere and I told my husband I thougt I saw something in one of the lighthouses. It was him, but he wouldn't come out! The stupid fish got stuck in top of the lighthouse! He tried to gently pull him out, but that didn' work. He tried to stick his finger throught the top and poke him out, but the fish bit him! We ended up taking the lighthouse out of the water and hitting it really hard the counter top twice before he fell out. Needless to say the lighthouse is not in there anymore and the fish is fine.
Poor Trigger... Was he stuck or was he holding himself in place? Triggers have two fins, one on top and one on their belly that they use to hold themselves tightly into crevices where they sleep... They basically pin them selves in spaces with these two fins...

cowfishrule

i have a neighbor who has saltwater and those decorations in there-
he has 2 black domino damels that hide in the lighthouses, and the only fish that swims around is the clownfish.

evea

Originally Posted by FishRule
Poor Trigger... Was he stuck or was he holding himself in place? Triggers have two fins, one on top and one on their belly that they use to hold themselves tightly into crevices where they sleep... They basically pin them selves in spaces with these two fins...
I've had triggers before and I know how they like to sleep in strange places, but when we took the lighthouse out of the water he still didn't let go. He's found a new place now-the groupers old spot!

fishrule

Originally Posted by evea
I've had triggers before and I know how they like to sleep in strange places, but when we took the lighthouse out of the water he still didn't let go. He's found a new place now-the groupers old spot!
Groupers are cool... :happyfish I had one along time ago, but he out grew the tank too fast and I had to sell him back to the LFS. Was it a Panther?

darth tang

I had a firefish in one of my tanks once. It disappeared for two weeks. Wrote it off as dead with no body. Bought another to replace it. As soon as I put the new one in, the old one same out of a rock and attacked it.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
I had a firefish in one of my tanks once. It disappeared for two weeks. Wrote it off as dead with no body. Bought another to replace it. As soon as I put the new one in, the old one same out of a rock and attacked it.

Something about that made me laugh. It almost like the missing firefish was saying WTF are you doing here? Did they ever get along? I guess they do when you introduce them together.

darth tang

No the never got along. The old one killed the new one at night...next morning the new one was dead...but the old one did stay out in the open from then on...lol.

stevied

funny story.... I thought my red leg hermit was eaten but surfaced a week later from the sand... I'm learning how to use mt treatment tank for ich erratication... My local stor tells me to use coper for the treatment of all new fish... Itrying it as he uses this method for all the stor fish... (not for live rock) just bare bones treatment tanks... But he said to keep the fish in for 2-3weekd... seems long huh? He also said that the main tank that has ich infestations will all go away after 48hrs once the fish are removed because the ich require a host? do you think this is true?
Stevid :notsure:

merredeth

Originally Posted by Stevied
funny story.... I thought my red leg hermit was eaten but surfaced a week later from the sand... I'm learning how to use mt treatment tank for ich erratication... My local stor tells me to use coper for the treatment of all new fish... Itrying it as he uses this method for all the stor fish... (not for live rock) just bare bones treatment tanks... But he said to keep the fish in for 2-3weekd... seems long huh? He also said that the main tank that has ich infestations will all go away after 48hrs once the fish are removed because the ich require a host? do you think this is true?
Stevid :notsure:
Personally, I'd never use anything with copper for my tanks.
I'd do hypo on your fish to get rid of the ich before using medications. You can move your rock and inverts into a plastic tote and keep a heater and everything on them while you put the fish through hypo in hte display tank if you don't have a quarantine tank (which you should have).
Enough copper in a tank can render the display tank useless and kill everything off. Plus, there is no way to fully remove the copper - at least that I'm aware of.
Go over to the forum "Disease & Treatments" and read how to do hypo on the fish.
Ich has a 6 week lifecycle and as far as I know the best way to undo all this is hypo procedures.
Denise M.

Yea, I was missing my Goldentail Moray for about 2-3weeks in my 150g. He never came out for that long and I usually fed him everynight on a feeding sticka nd I assumed he was dead. I check the overflow because he had gotten in there before but he wasn't there. A few days ago I look in the back overflow and there he is.. just cruisin up and down the glass. I caught him and put him back in the tank and still wonder where he was the whole time.

puffer32

My purple FF did the same thing. He had been in my tank 6 months with a red FF. He was the dominent one of the 2, use to chase the red guy if he got to close, and neither of my FF hid at all, I considered myself lucky because many people say they don't see there FF much, and mine were out all the time. Then one day my purple ate breakfast, then went into the rocks. We assumed he went in to die when we didn't see him for over 2 weeks. Then he just came swimming out. Now he comes out for short periods and doesn't chase the red one at all. Its like a different fish now. I think my clown spooked him when he got to close to his annenome, and hasn't been the same since.

toyshika

....My Yellow Watchman Goby has been missing for six months...the little fish just popped out for the first time! lol